Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME 3 PPA for Raring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

GNOME 3 PPA for Raring

We've now pushed many pieces of the GNOME 3.8 Beta (3.7.90) to the GNOME 3 PPA.

If you have already been using the Staging PPA, be sure you alsohave the GNOME3 PPA enabled for raring as we will be removing the duplicate packages there soon. The Staging PPA is for the pieces of GNOME 3.7/3.8 that still need work or have known regressions. For a longer explanation, see my email to the ubuntu-gnome list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: GNOME 3 PPA for Raring

added the ppa and most things seem to work alright, but the two finger scroll option in gnome control center is broken and has no effect, edge scrolls no matter what.

I noticed gnome-shell seems way quicker now Also fixed some very annoying bugs, like the memory leaks that plague gnome 3.6 still and tearing on intel ivybridge. Still got some rough edges (touch issue mentioned above, gnome-shell crashes sometimes, clicking networks settings from the gnome-shell network indicator does nothing) but the most part looks like gnome 3.8 will be a much better release than 3.6

EDIT: there seems to be a dependency issue with the librsvg package in the ppa, it can't be upgraded because it tries to remove a bunch of other packages.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; March 3rd, 2013 at 04:31 AM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    If you have already been using the Staging PPA, be sure you also have the GNOME3 PPA enabled [...]
    Yep, had them both enabled for a week or two, plus ricotz testing.
    Last edited by VinDSL; March 3rd, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    there seems to be a dependency issue with the librsvg package in the ppa, it can't be upgraded because it tries to remove a bunch of other packages.
    I'm not sure whether we want the new pango in the GNOME3 PPA or not so I removed the new librsvg until we decide. You can revert to the regular raring version by running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install librsvg2-2=2.36.4-1 librsvg2-common=2.36.4-1

Beans

I just tried upgrading Ubuntu 13.04 using the Gnome 3 team PPA, but after restarting I found a major bug.

The amount of memory used by Gnome Shell quickly grew; within minutes, top reported that gnome-shell was using about 2000 MB of virtual memory plus 850 MB of resident memory; my computer has 1 GB of memory. The shell was virtually unresponsive. Eventually the whole computer was so unresponsive that even holding the power button didn't kill the power. After a while the shell crashed.

Possibly related (or possibly not), Gnome Shell displayed a black desktop background. Before the shell started and after it crashed, my background image appeared properly, which suggests it was always present behind Gnome Shell.

I saw the same symptoms when I tried this upgrade a couple of hours ago, and a couple of days ago. This time I ensured no extensions were installed that might be incompatible.

The offending version of gnome-shell is 3.7.91-0ubuntu1~raring3. I have the standard ubuntu-gnome-desktop stack (congratulations on the promotion!) without ubuntu-desktop (but with ubuntu-standard, ubuntu-minimal, linux-generic, linux-firmware, language-pack-gnome-en and very little else). I don't have the staging PPA or any of its packages installed.

I've now removed the Gnome 3 team PPA using ppa-purge, and Gnome 3.6 is running nicely. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms with Gnome 3.7 from the PPA? Any ideas what might be causing this?
    Last edited by Greg K Nicholson; March 13th, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I ran into the same thing, with all 3 ppas enabled. Even after upgrading several times, it just kept looping, gnome-shell would run until it used all the ram and swap, then restart. I did a fresh install this past weekend, but haven't added the ppas back as of yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K Nicholson View Post
    I've now removed the Gnome 3 team PPA using ppa-purge, and Gnome 3.6 is running nicely. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms with Gnome 3.7 from the PPA? Any ideas what might be causing this?
    I use constantly Gnome3 and Gnome3 Staging PPA's. No other PPA's enabled.
    I use nvidia_313 proprietary drivers with my Nvidia 285GTX card.
    No issues with gnome-shell ATM.

Beans

I had this issue but with backslide extension. Without that extension shell is working fine. You can create an issue in launchpad/bugzilla (gnome 3.8 is not released yet, so sooner the better).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have activated that ppa, then upgraded the packages. But now nautilus fail to load from the Places menu (silently).
    So going for a logout/in. Thats made the trick
    Last edited by dino99; March 13th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    I use constantly Gnome3 and Gnome3 Staging PPA's. No other PPA's enabled.[...]
    I have those PPAs enabled, plus Ricotz Testing. Nothing unusual is happening here, at the moment.

I turned on my rig 45 minutes ago.

I'm listening to podcasts via Banshee (a heavy hitter Mono app) in the background.

I updated my FaceBook account via Chromium Canary 27, and played a Flash game (which is very resource intensive).

Then, I came over here to Ubu Forums. Everything simmered down just fine.

Looking at my Conky widgets, nothing is looping, running away, maxing out, et cetera.

HTOP output...
    Code:
    Tasks: 216, 323 thr; 1 running
    Load average: 0.89 1.04 1.28
    Mem[459/1002MB]
    Swp[381/1025MB]
    Uptime: 00:46:42
    Nautilus working fine from Places.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast