Thread: Security

Beans
    Hidden!

Security

I am growing tired of Windows 7 and thinking of installing Ubuntu. Question:

Do I need to install antivirus and/or firewall apps, and, if so, what kind of, free, packages would you recommend?

Thank you for your advice,

pe1800

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Security

Take a look at the following pages, they should answer all the questions you have.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812
    Last edited by Cheesemill; March 2nd, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please don't come to Ubuntu if you are getting tired of Windows 7, in that case Ubuntu or any flavor of linux will tire you out faster. Come to Linux because you have a valid reason to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    Please don't come to Ubuntu if you are getting tired of Windows 7, in that case Ubuntu or any flavor of linux will tire you out faster. Come to Linux because you have a valid reason to.
    I think anyone should be encouraged to try Linux, as long as they wont rage-quit when they find they can't run Windows programs or when Linux turns out to be wildly different to Windows.

On-topic: There are no Linux viruses, so there is no need for antivirus. Ubuntu doesn't listen for incoming connections unless you install something that listens, so there is no need for a firewall. Besides, you probably already have a firewall in your modem.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.