Thread: Error Message on startup "KVM DISABLED BY BIOS" 12.10

Beans

Error Message on startup "KVM DISABLED BY BIOS" 12.10

Hello, recently I upgraded to 12.10 through a fresh install. After I installed the NVIDIA drivers for GTS450 The splash screen has disappeared and in its place is the message "KVM DISABLED BY BIOS" Any ideas on how I can fix this thanks.

Beans

Re: Error Message on startup "KVM DISABLED BY BIOS" 12.10

I hope someone answers this. I've got the same problem. Fingers crossed, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

reboot into BIOS, and look for "virtualisation" (or something similar) - turn this on, and that error will disappear.

Beans

I'm getting the same thing on a brand-new install of 13.04, without having installed NVIDIA drivers or anything else. It happened on the very first startup after installing. Even if changing a BIOS setting (if one even exists) makes the message go away, this is an Ubuntu problem.

Beans

I have enabled Virtualisation in bios on my new install of 13.04 with a Nvidia driver installed and the message has gone.

However since installing Nvidia driver I also have sopme other error messages. So far the appear for such a short time I haven'y been able to read them.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

So, I have this error on Xubuntu 13.04 (if I don't have virtualization enabled in the bios—that fixed it). However, my question is, do I really want virtualization enabled? I'm not sure what I would be using it for. Can I get rid of the message without enabling virtualization? Is it necessary for something? It doesn't seem to be, so far. Does it improve the graphics?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Virtualization tech shouldn't make a huge difference like HT does when OC'ing.

Beans
    Distro

I have no idea what that means. I'm just a regular desktop user, as far as my post here is concerned. I've never consciously used any form of virtualization besides VirtualBox, to my knowledge.

Beans
    Distro

Or, more specifically, if I'm not consciously wanting or trying to have a virual machine running some other OS, is there any danger or disadvantage to enabling virtualization in the BIOS? My sole purpose in enabling it in the BIOS is to remove the error message (and maybe make my freshly installed Xubuntu 13.04 run more how it's supposed to, if it's not already doing so).