Thread: Wine, MS Office

Beans

Wine, MS Office

Dear All,

Greetings from India.

I just downloaded wine on my system. How can I make it work for me to run MS office? My PC is dual boot with one part running Windows and another one running 12.10.

Can you please help with the complete process I need to follow?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hardik

Beans

Re: Making Wine work for me..

What are you running, 12.04 LTS? 12.10? Is it mandatory that you use MS office for some reason? If it's not why can't you run Libreoffice natively instead? Also which version of WINE have you downloaded?

Beans

Hi.

-- I use 12.10
    -- I have downloaded Wine 1.4.1
    -- Yes, I do use LO but for the ease of my family members who are not very comfortable with LO I would like to have a backup system for MSO

will running Wine somehow adversely impacts by Ubuntu / LO experience?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which version of MS Office are you trying to install? I am running MS Office 2007 in wine 1.4.

Wine has not had any adverse effects on my computer yet. However, wine does have the capability of running some windows viruses. So you should be carefully about what parts of your file system your wine programs have access to (can be set in the settings) and you should be careful about the files you open.

NOTE: Only some MS Office software works well in wine. I have had decent success with MS Word and PowerPoint, I think Excel works OK too, but I cannot remember. The other MS Office applications I have not used much or at all. Some are buggy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I will share with you what I know. If you open the Dash and search for wine you should see Configure Wine and Uninstall Wine Software. Load Uninstall Wine Software and you will see that it has now become Add/Remove Programs just like in Windows. You need to browse to the MS Office CD/DVD. You will see an Install button that will let you do this. Find the Office setup exe file or install exe file and click on it and MS Office will install just like under Windows. You may even get an icon on the desktop as well as in the Dash and you can drag it to the Launcher.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WineHQ (http://www.winehq.org) has instructions for installing MS Office. They are different for different versions of MS Office, that is why I asked you which version it was. It also matters if it is 32 or 64 bit MS Office. The way grahammechanical mentioned will not leave you with a working MS Office as some other tricks are needed (documented at WineHQ) to make it work.

Beans

What if I have MS office installed (pirated) on other partition, can i install it on Ubuntu side of the partition? Or do I need CD / DVD only?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by hardikbv View Post
    What if I have MS office installed (pirated) on other partition, can i install it on Ubuntu side of the partition? Or do I need CD / DVD only?

At Ubuntuforums we in no way condone piracy.

Thread closed
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?