Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows boots, but not Ubuntu

Beans

Windows boots, but not Ubuntu

Hi,

For Explanation:
    I have 2 Drives in my System: 1x SSD and 1x HDD.

The complete SSD is used as my Windows 7 Partion. The HDD contains all of my data.

I want to test Ubuntu (64 bit) so i splittet my HDD and created a small partiton for Ubuntu.
    I chose in the Ubuntu installation ext 4 journaled and "/"
    Also i chose to install the Bootmanager on the HDD.

After the installation is completed and i select my Harddrive in the UEFI, Windows 7 starts as usual, but no Ubuntu!

What is wrong here? Please help!
    I tried to install it on an USB-Stick too, same Result! Its simply not bootable.

Thank you!
    Last edited by sasparilla; March 2nd, 2013 at 02:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Windows boots, but not Ubuntu

Is Windows installed in UEFI mode? Then did you install Ubuntu in same mode? Both have to be either UEFI or BIOS/Legacy/CSM or whatever your system calls it.

You can convert a BIOS install of Ubuntu to UEFI, but drive must be gpt not MBR. Ubuntu works from gpt drives with either BIOS or UEFI.
    Windows only boots from gpt with UEFI. Or from UEFI only boots with gpt partitioning.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

My Mobo is An ASUS Z77 Board with UEFI.

I installed Windows the usual way.

How to install Ubuntu on my second Partition of my HDD and boot from the UEFI from it? Is it even possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You have to install ubuntu in uefi mode too if windows is in uefi. When you boot the usb stick boot the uefi device not the legacy. There will be two devices on uefi boards. You have to boot the uefi one.

Beans

thanks for your reply, can u tell me exactly how to install Ubuntu 12.10 in UEFI-Mode?

and what has Windows to do with it anyway, since it is on a totally different Drive?

Tank you very much!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

When you say you installed Windows in usual way that could mean either BIOS/MBR or UEFI/gpt. How you boot install media for both Windows & Ubuntu is how it installs. From UEFI menu you should get two boot choices from installer.

When you boot, UEFI/BIOS system writes data to drive for operating system to use. UEFI writes data somewhat differently than BIOS so you cannot dual boot from one to the other if not same mode. You can dual boot if one is BIOS and the other UEFI only if you go into UEFI and change from or to the correct mode you installed operating system in.

May be best to post this.

sudo parted -l
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Once again, what does it matter if my SSD wich contains Windows 7 ist MBR or GUID? Its MBR by the way.

What are those "modes" you talking about? Or do you mean just the MBR vs GPT ?

I want to install Ubuntu on a partition of another physical Drive and boot from it via the UEFI of my Mainboard by selecting it there.
    Last edited by sasparilla; March 2nd, 2013 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The MBR or GPT matters if you are not sure in what mode it's installed because win7 can work on gpt only in uefi mode, and it can work on mbr (msdos table) only in legacy mode. So, if the SSD has msdos table, you have win7 in legacy mode.

To avoid any further confusion, go into BIOS and disable the uefi boot. Set the setting to Legacy Only or what ever it is called in your bios.

With the new uefi boot process it matters how you install each OS even when they are on separate disks. This is because the boot mode is general, it's either legacy or uefi. So, both OSs have to be installed in the same mode, what ever your boot mode is.

If you are not getting grub2 menu when booting from the hdd, it might be that grub2 didn't install correctly on the mbr. It happens sometimes. Boot the ubuntu cd/usb in live mode and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l (small L)
    That will show us your ubuntu root partition so we can give you commands to install grub2 to the mbr.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

As for the different boot modes and how you boot install media, now that you have uefi board get used to it.

On uefi enabled boards the optical and usb boot devices will have two versions, two separate devices. One will be the older legacy mode, the other the UEFI mode which should have the UEFI prefix or similar.

So, when we say boot the stick in uefi mode, it means to select the UEFI stick and not the standard legacy stick. How you boot it, that is how it will install.

If you look in the list of boot devices, I'm sure you will see some with UEFI prefix, if you haven't disabled uefi boot yet. For sepecting a device to boot from to install, it's best to use the board boot menu, usually accessible with F12 or similar. This is because you boot your stick only once to install, no point going into bios making changes for one boot. If the board has boot menu, use it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

ive now selected boot legacy only in my Bios /UEFI.

I install it now again and will post you my
    sudo fdisk -l
    Where to put the grub2 bootloader? directly on the partition of my HDD where i put my Ubuntu-install?

Thanks !!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast