Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problems with radio streams and Rhythmbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problems with radio streams and Rhythmbox

Quote Originally Posted by richardsdma View Post
    as i told you man.....just dump the apps that are crappy.
    for me, rhythmbox always has an issue......
    i use clementine for one and a half year and i never had an issue (on linux or windows).
    you also can use VLC, SMplayer. very good apps!
    I completely disagree: I think there are too less people in the team, that care about bugs in the shipped packages. Only using another product is not the best idea, there are many Rhythmbox users out there. It would be better to fix the bug before release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it would be better, yeah.....but that won't happen.
    RB has a lot of users because it came by default in ubuntu/gnome.....otherwise, the number of users would be count on fingers off one hand.
    the same <snip> is happening with empathy versus pidgin.
    i have a message for all the ubuntu users:
    try as much as you can to use only cross platform apps, they are a much better quality.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 3rd, 2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: removed implied profanity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Saw something come in the form of a gfvs update this morning. Still waiting for a libsoup update though. Kinda is a bummer it took this long to isolate and fix a bug for such a large project. :\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This was an "upstream" fix, that is it was solved for the whole Linux community and not only for Ubuntu. So now a process has to be followed until the fix lands in Ubuntu. Please correct me if I don't describe it well: First it has to go to Debian, and for that it has to follow its own process. Once it is in Debian it has to arrive to Ubuntu, as a new version of libsoup, which will not happen until the next release, since the Debian freeze was met long ago for the current development release.

So in my opinion Ubuntu developers have nothing to do now with the fix not landing sooner here. The delay on fixing this cannot be attributed either to Ubuntu, this was affecting the whole Linux ecosystem.
    Catalan Team: Tingueu presents les normes d'or : poseu un títol entenedor i apropiat ; digueu quina versió i variant d'Ubuntu feu servir i a quina màquina; i què heu provat abans de demanar ajut. Si s'ha resolt, marqueu [Solved].

Beans

This should be fixed in trusty with libsoup2.4-2.44.1
    As far as saucy probably not though it appears 2.4-2.44.1 would work fine
    (there is sometimes a short window where some new dev version packages can be installed in prev. release if inclined to try.

Otherwise have a saucy libsoup build scheduled in an RB ppa, will have to test once built though should be ok

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Problems with radio streams and Rhythmbox

Quote Originally Posted by wgarcia View Post
    A workaround that works for me is:

1) start the radio stream you want to play
    2) look (with "ps -ef | grep gvf" from a command line) for a process called "gvfsd-http"
    3) kill that process ("kill -9 <process-number>")

The radio stream starts playing immediately after this.

In the upstream bug report I was told that a fix was committed (about a month ago) so that gvsfd would not block rhythmbox, so I presume this will land eventually in saucy

The bug seems to be there still in my up-to-date Ubuntu 13.10 default Rhythmbox.

To effectively do what the above post recommends without "looking", you can open a terminal window and issue:

kill -9 `ps -ef | grep gvfsd-http|head -1|awk '{print $2;}'`
    Last edited by k.pagkalos; October 30th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k.pagkalos View Post
    The bug seems to be there still in my up-to-date Ubuntu 13.10 default Rhythmbox.

To effectively do what the above post recommends without "looking", you can open a terminal window and issue:

kill -9 `ps -ef | grep gvfsd-http|head -1|awk '{print $2;}'`
    And it will be unless there is an update to libsoup in 13.10 which the odds are slim to none
    (- works fine here in 13.10 with new libsoup & obviously ok in 14.04

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123