Thread: How do I route all my traffic that doesnt go through tor through a vpn?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How do I route all my traffic that doesnt go through tor through a vpn?

I have a netbook running Ubuntu 12.10 32 bit acting as a wifi router based off this guide http://nims11.wordpress.com/2012/04/...-access-point/ I would like to have it take in all data and send it through tor and vpn, if the data is tor-supported (TCP, Web Traffic, etc.) send it to tor and if the data is not tor-supported (UDP, whatever else) send it through vpn otherwise BLOCK IT. I'm unclear how to do this. I don't have any vpn or tor set up yet. Also I do want to be able to ssh into this box at all times, right now I have ddclient updating dyndns.org to remedy this. Below is my set up as it stands now..
    Internet<--->DNS<--->Cable Modem<--->Ubuntu Netbook/Wifi Router<--->All other devices

Beans

Re: How do I route all my traffic that doesnt go through tor through a vpn?

Basically, when you set up a VPN connection, everything gets routed through it as far as I know... So what you have to do is set up a VPN connection first (btw, you won't be able to get your hand on a good free VPN, if you want it for a small amount of usage (say 1-2Gb per month) then you'll find free trials). Once the VPN is set up, Tor's traffic will be routed through the VPN, and so everything should be good.

Beans
    Distro

what about "leaks"? how can I make sure that if the connection goes down data doesn't end up going through the normal way again?

Beans
    Distro

bump

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bellaseem View Post
    Basically, when you set up a VPN connection, everything gets routed through it as far as I know... So what you have to do is set up a VPN connection first (btw, you won't be able to get your hand on a good free VPN, if you want it for a small amount of usage (say 1-2Gb per month) then you'll find free trials). Once the VPN is set up, Tor's traffic will be routed through the VPN, and so everything should be good.
    I would disagree with that though only my opinion.

personally i use a paid for with bitocins VPN (AirVPN)

but i also occasionally use one of a few free ones which are all excellent in my experience:

The following ones are free (though your mileage may vary) and are all pptp and not OpenVPN but still decent for a free service.

VPNBook

Server #1: euro1.vpnbook.com
    username: pptp
    pasword: 9jHbfKiN

Server #2: euro2.vpnbook.com
    username: pptp
    password: 9jHbfKin

Justfreevpn

Server UK: uk.justfreevpn.com
    username: justfreevpn
    password: 3159

Server USA: us.justfreevpn.com
    password: 8882

Server Ca: ca.justfreevpn
    password: 8398

Free Uk VPN

server: bestukvpn.com
    username: free
    password: 1370

To the OP, connect to the VPN which protects everything and continue to use Tor when connected giving you an increased layer of anonymity and privacy though not necessarily security.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013