Thread: Is there is a way to increase and decrease the disk space in wine?

Beans

Is there is a way to increase and decrease the disk space in wine?

I am new to using wine. I tried to install the G2 Real Flight Simulator. I was surprised at how easy everything was going. But then came the time for it to copy some files from the CD to the hard drive. It failed and claimed that this could be due to not having enough disk space. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase and decrease the disk space in wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is there is a way to increase and decrease the disk space in wine?

By default, wine is using you the folder /home/<your user name>/.wine. So that means that whatever partition your home directory is in is full. You can run:
    Code:
    df -h
    to find out the space available on your partitions.

Beans

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1 109G 5.6G 98G 6% /
    udev 1.9G 4.0K 1.9G 1% /dev
    tmpfs 780M 932K 779M 1% /run
    none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    none 2.0G 844K 2.0G 1% /run/shm
    /dev/sda2 255G 70G 186G 28% /media/6662EAF862EACBBD
    /dev/sda1 200M 29M 172M 15% /media/388AED808AED3B50

Beans
    Distro

A full drive is clearly not the problem. Have you tried different windows version modes in wine. G2 is a very old software, current version is 6.5. Make sure you are using a 32 bit wine prefix. Also, sometimes software will just plain refuse to work in wine. Realflight version G5 demo is the only version that is shown as working on wine at http://www.winehq.org/.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shannon View Post
    A full drive is clearly not the problem. Have you tried different windows version modes in wine. G2 is a very old software, current version is 6.5. Make sure you are using a 32 bit wine prefix. Also, sometimes software will just plain refuse to work in wine. Realflight version G5 demo is the only version that is shown as working on wine at http://www.winehq.org/.
    I checked and wine is set to windows xp. But is it in 32 or 64 bit I have no idea. Do you know how to tell?

Beans
    Distro

Since you did not explicitly set it then it is probably the same as your OS. Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit ubuntu. You can tell with:
    Code:
    uname -m
    if this returns x86_64 then your OS is 64 bit and thus wine is probably running in 64 bit mode. If that is the case you will need to create a new wine prefix with 'win32' as the architecture and install G2 there.

Also, G2 was written for Windows 2000, ME, 98, and 95. So trying those modes out may help.