Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: USB is read only and won't unlock

Beans

Re: USB is read only and won't unlock

If I use Dban, can i put it on a usb using universal usb installer?l Also, i havent had to create a partition TABLE before, is it difficult or can i just use minitool or Gparted?

This sounds like what I need, a COMPLETE clean of the drive. I hope it works and thank you very much.

P.S. I will let you know how it goes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGuardian View Post
    If I use Dban, can i put it on a usb using universal usb installer?l
    I think so, try it! Otherwise Unetbootin is good (there are versions for linux as well as Windows).
    Also, i havent had to create a partition TABLE before, is it difficult or can i just use minitool or Gparted?
    I use gparted, I think it is easy to use. Select Device - Create Partition Table (and select MSDOS)
    This sounds like what I need, a COMPLETE clean of the drive. I hope it works and thank you very much.

P.S. I will let you know how it goes.
    Good luck

Beans

Do I need to pull my HDD before I try this? Sounds like it could lead to alot of work. I have install linux to USB before without unplugging my HDD, but I havent used DBAN before.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do I need to pull my HDD before I try this? Sounds like it could lead to alot of work.
    No I think DBAN will ask which drive to wipe. It should not wipe directly. But if you want to be 100% sure, unplug the internal drive, or use this as an incentive to make a backup of your installed system! With a good backup you can afford a mistake.
    I have install linux to USB before without unplugging my HDD, but I havent used DBAN before.
    An alternative is to do it in a desktop computer, where it is easy to unplug the internal drive, and it is easy to move the USB pendrive

Beans
    Hidden!

See this link, I don't think you will start wiping the drive by mistake

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/itsecurity/securitytools/howtousedbantoremovethecontentsfromaharddisk/

Beans

I decided to test DBAN. I put it on a usb and booted. It shows three drives: my HDD, its own usb, and an unrecognized usb (the corrupt kingston). I didnt try pressing any keys, since when i go to wipe it, I am gonna pull my HDD (just for safety). The "arrow" next to the unrecognized one is different, but like i said i didn't try anything. I am being very cautious.

I am worried that it wont be able to wipe the usb, since it is unrecognized.

Just thought i'd post to see what you would say. Can it still wipe an "unrecognized" usb?

Beans

Sorry about the over eager post. I pulled my HDD and tried to wipe the kingston usb. But since it did not recognize it, it could not wipe it. It didnt even give me the option of wiping it.
    DBAN HAS FAILED ME! Good try though.

I might try hdparm, but if DBAN did not work then I doubt hdparm will.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry about the over eager post. I pulled my HDD and tried to wipe the kingston usb. But since it did not recognize it, it could not wipe it. It didnt even give me the option of wiping it.
    DBAN HAS FAILED ME! Good try though.

I might try hdparm, but if DBAN did not work then I doubt hdparm will.
    I think you have done what is possible now. There is something wrong with the hardware of that pendrive.

i have a kingston datatravaler 32gb. I got it a week ago so its brand new.

i partitioned 10.5gb to ext4 with 3.5gb swap. then installed ubuntu 12.10. it worked great. partitioned the other "half" the same way and tried to install fedora (which i havent used much) it said install failed. after that it said the half i partitioned for fedora was unallocated when using minitool partitioner. and the usb has gone read only. it mounted in ubuntu at first but now it wont mount (something about bad superblock)...
    It is still new. I think this is typical for electronic devices. Either they break, when they are brand new, or they last for years (often until they are obsolete). In my country there should be a valid guarantee. I don't know about the consumer market laws in your country, but try to return it to the vendor and ask for a new one.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 10th, 2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typing error

Beans

I will hang on to it just in case, but i am ordering in two 16gb flashdrives. I know i could dual boot a 32gb usb (since through this mess i have figured out how), but it will be more useful to have two usb drives.

So this is my plan: my other 32gb kingston is for storage, one of the 16gb ones will be for a custom pentesting/hacking system, the other 16gb one will be my computer tech bootable "toolbox" for cleaning, repairing, and rescuing data, the 8gb i have will be for distro testing and installation. (yes i bought a case for all these usb drives)

Anyway, thanks very much for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!

You are welcome

Do you run a small company or are you 'only' helping family and friends?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast