Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A subdomain on a ubuntu server .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A subdomain on a ubuntu server .

Also i'm planning to do thatne public ip for these:a email server,a web server,a vpn network. i will create a filter so that any a request with 1 port will be redirected to 192.168.1.2 (a web server) and 2 port will be redirectd to 192.168.1.3 (a email server) and 3 port to a vpn server. (1,2,3 ports just an example hhhh)

Can i get that running ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Raafat1991 View Post
    is there any one have registered with a DNS server (just i want to know those steps) ?
    Yes, I have my domain registered with Dyn. I went to http://dyn.com/ and subscribed to their "Domain Registration" and "Dyn Standard DNS" services. I chose Dyn because I knew that I could get Dynamic DNS (DDNS) and just use my dynamic IP address; it was cheaper than paying my ISP for a static IP.

Once I had signed up I could log in to their website and edit my DNS records (see screenshot). I created CNAME aliases for 'www' and 'webmail', and added a TXT record for SPF email validation.

Dyn.jpg

Beans
    Distro

Also i'm planning to do thatne public ip for these:a email server,a web server,a vpn network. i will create a filter so that any a request with 1 port will be redirected to 192.168.1.2 (a web server) and 2 port will be redirectd to 192.168.1.3 (a email server) and 3 port to a vpn server. (1,2,3 ports just an example hhhh)

Can i get that running ?
    Yes, if you are behind a router that does Port Forwarding (and nowadays even the most inexpensive home WiFi routers do).
    Last edited by GordThompson; March 5th, 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: corrected terminology

Beans
    Distro

Hi...i saw your image but was small...what about updating your ip how did you do that ? also can you set a port with your ip so that any request to email.raafat.org will be with 1 port automatically ?
    Last edited by Raafat1991; March 5th, 2013 at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi...i saw your image but was small...
    Did you try clicking on the thumbnail? That should display a larger image.

what about updating your ip how did you do that?
    Because I'm using Dynamic DNS (DDNS) I have to run a DDNS updater on one of my machines. It checks my current (dynamic) IP address every few minutes and updates my DNS "A" record automatically if necessary.

also can you set a port with your ip so that any request to email.raafat.org will be with 1 port automatically ?
    No, DNS doesn't work that way. However, if traffic arrives at your public IP address on port 25 then your router will know that it's mail and forward it accordingly (once you have Port Forwarding set up).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GordThompson View Post
    Did you try clicking on the thumbnail?
    Yes i did...

So (as mentioned befor) a static ip is better for a email server ,Also with a webserver ?

in general,when must i take a static ip ?

thank you

Beans
    Distro

Hi....

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes i did...

So (as mentioned befor) a static ip is better for a email server ,Also with a webserver ?

in general,when must i take a static ip ?

thank you
    Having a static IP address possibly matters more when you're running an email server, because some email providers block incoming mail from dynamic IP addresses.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Having a static IP address possibly matters more when you're running an email server, because some email providers block incoming mail from dynamic IP addresses.
    Hi...only with email servsers ?

thank you .

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi...only with email servsers ?

thank you .
    As long as your DNS records are pointing to the correct IP address, it shouldn't really matter for people connecting to your server from the outside. The important thing is that your website or email server can be found by those who you might want to connect to your server. Keeping unwanted visitors out is another story......

For email, there is a nuisance factor introduced by malware on infected computers, which commonly connect via dynamic (i.e. not static) IP addresses, and some email providers prefer to play it safe.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast