Thread: SSH connection immediately dropped on 'sudo su'

Beans

SSH connection immediately dropped on 'sudo su'

I cloned two machines from a base template I created of 12.10 Server. The template had nothing installed except openssh. Because I am running this on a 2008 Hyper-V box, I added hv_vmbus, hv_storvsc, hv_blkvsc, hv_netvsc to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules (I have done this with previous versions of Ubuntu Server, so I do not think this is the root cause).

I created two servers, mail2 and mail3. Updated their IP addresses and hostnames.

When I SSH into mail2 I can connect and browse around, run commands, it works fine as far as I can tell. However when I sudo su it immediately disconnects the connection. If I connect to the machine via the Hyper-V console, sudo su works just fine. It's only when I connect via SSH does trying to gain SU access does it terminate my connection. This same behavior doesn't happen on mail3 however.

Because the two are based off the same template, I don't necessarily think it's a configuration issue. The only thing I figured may be the cause is a corrupted ~/.bashrc in the root home directory, but changing the ~/.bashrc to ~/.bashrc_old doesn't change the behavior. And because I can initially connect and work on mail2 as a regular user account, I don't think it's a TCP/IP configurations issue. So I'm a little stumped as to where to look.

I"m mostly curious how I can troubleshoot this over what the root cause is. Where might I go to look for error messages of why a terminal session is being suddenly dropped?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: SSH connection immediately dropped on 'sudo su'

hi
    i think i can bet there is a "set -e" anywhere. i did here on my box the following in my user "testuser".
    i edit his .bashrc and insert following:
    # ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.
    set -e
    then i run in his home:

root@tschang:/home/surfer# . ./.bashrc (have a look at the user - run befor the modification i ran su - root - was root before !!!)

and now be back in my account:
    richi@tschang:~ 18:22-> ( the su session is canceled and i am back in my home).
    comment out the "set -e" and it works !
    root@tschang:/home/surfer# su - testuser
    testuser@tschang:~$

this behavior is although given when i use set -e in the .bashrc and try to open a new terminal - terminal shown up and immediatly gone !
    but i ain't have this behavior when i do the same joke in root's .bashrc.
    to debug your problem use "set -x" (this set the shell to debug-mode) in the procedures which will run when you are using
    the "su - root" ( best in the /root/.bashrc ).
    have much fun when you search for this problem
    ciao
    Last edited by rnerwein; March 2nd, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

So, I noticed on "mail3" that there were 11 pending updates, and I did an update of the template and "mail2" earlier in the week. After I ran the system updates on "mail3", the same error happened on that box as well. Looking at the 11 updates, one of them was for sudo (1.8.5p2-1ubuntu1.1) - so I think that the update broke something.

Beans

rnerwein,

Thanks.

I was able to correct this on "mail3" by downloading and installing sudo_1.8.6-8_amd64.deb from http://www.sudo.ws. It looks like the current package being released may have a bug affecting my particular installation, so I'll see if I can post that information up the food chain that they may get the latest version out if anyone else has this issue.

C
    Last edited by Contrarian; March 2nd, 2013 at 07:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hallo
    i got similar problem on a solaris high-end !!!!! server (about 12 years ago) and that takes me a time to solve it ( my professional is "trouble shooting and performace).
    to make it easier to debug such problems down see the thread i will open now (will call the thread: set -e and the possible dangerouses - ups. i think you are not allone.
    ciao
    richi
    Last edited by rnerwein; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht