Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

Pretty much everything, even though I work with multimedia programs everyday;
    I run a few games with Wine (All those I use the most. Perfect), and programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash Pro, Audition in a Windows XP virtual machine.
    The only programs I can't use at all under Ubuntu, even with a VM, are Adobe Premiere, AfterEffect and 3DS Max 2013 (I've installed it in a VM, but it lag a big, and even with OpenGL display, it's glitchy. Hardly usable).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Everything that I use my laptop for, becuase Ubuntu is better then Windows.

Beans

I use Ubuntu for nearly everything. I still keep Windows for gaming and opening Office files that don't work completely in Libreoffice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi all,

Since Xubuntu is my sole OS, I now use it for all of my computing needs.
    A considerable amount of my time is also taken up with the "housekeeping" of the NewDocs Wiki which is slowly growing in acceptance.

Cheers,
    BlinkinCat -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Xubuntu in Virtualbox VM's atop Win7 on both home & work computers. I'm in the VM almost exclusively in fullscreen on my home computer, and use the VM for development at work.

I also use Ubuntu Server for my home server.

Beans

Everything. I know that's vague, but anything I need done I do it with Linux (Kubuntu in particular). I have access to a Win 7, Win 8, and OSX machine since we run a multi OS environment at work, but I hardly use them at home. I have a server running Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 which does many things. It hosts ownCloud for my own personal data storage, it acts as a media server which is hosted on a 3TB mirrored array (from which my OpenELEC powered Rasp-Pi streams from via SMB upstairs in the living room), and also along with Samba it acts as a 24/7 surveillance server (cameras just record 24/7 via smb to a specific share I set up). I also run Motion to take simple jpg snapshots of motion detection so I can find things that moved easier, then reference the better quality video feed at that time for review. It also runs Subsonic for music streaming and Apache for hosting whatever I need. There's countless other things, but like I said, if there's a computer that belongs to me (or even my wife, as that's what she runs on her laptop), chances are it's some sort of variant of *buntu.

Beans

xbmc, browser (chrome), email (gmail) on the desktop.
    arduino and embedded coding on laptop. avr gcc and python scripting. A little javascript when needed.

If I need to write a letter I will use libreoffice.

For DVD authoring I use devede.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Mainly: Webbrowsing (Firefox), listening to music (Rhythmbox) and coding (just a hobby).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Writing, work, music, movie/video watching, internet surfing, shopping (though I guess that technically doesn't count?), graphic work, gaming though I occasionally switch to Windows for Gameguard games—basically everything, or near enough. I have found myself only using Windows to use PaintSAITool/my tablet (pressure problems) and some rare games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use Eclipse for little bits of Java, but for the most part I need ASP.Net...
    Registered Ubuntu User: #14595

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast