Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

Quote Originally Posted by mo_roodi View Post
    I've been using Ubuntu since 8.04(ish)...
    8.04 was awesome. hehe. I still have the CD-ROM.

Ubuntu: General computing, development, all things Internet, home server
    Windows 7: Battlefield 3 (located on a tiny 250GB HDD I dual boot with GRUB)
    OS X: Development (iOS)

It's rather hard to pry me away from Ubuntu. I just love it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use linux wherever possible from mainframes to phones netbooks and now samsung tablet!!

Beans

I use Ubuntu 12.04 on my Laptop for web browsing and a little bit of gaming. My desktop computer will always be a Mac but I keep Ubuntu on my laptops, it's become one of my favorite OS with the Unity desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Semi new user here. Dual booting with Win 7. I use my Lubuntu OS as I would a netbook. Installed a few programs on it to support the majority of the computing I do in the cloud. As a web developer, I can code in the cloud or just using a simple text editor. Also, terminal is obviously great for SSH.

OP, I am assuming you have no need for Photoshop or other Adobe products since you ditched Win (almost entirely)? I want to ditch Windows as well but am weary of certain programs....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Been an on and off user since 5.04; alongside other distros like Debian and Arch. I use Ubuntu for all personal tasks: domestic management (I'm a stay-at-home dad these days), communications (email, videoconferencing w/ kids and grandparents, etc.), music and photo management. I have accounts set up for my wife, who is a high school teacher and uses Ubuntu for pretty much everything, and my two daughters, age 3 and 5, who know how to switch users, bring up their browsers and use email, videoconferencing, music, photos and online games.

I also use my machine to administer and troubleshoot ~dozen Ubuntu boxen for friends, family and neighbours.
    --
    uc50_ic4more

Beans

I've literally just downloaded Ubuntu to try using WAMP server on it via a Virtual Machine and do some webdev in a new way, so we'll see how that goes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Vixxd View Post
    I've literally just downloaded Ubuntu to try using WAMP server on it via a Virtual Machine and do some webdev in a new way, so we'll see how that goes
    Nice! Have fun with that
    Darkcrimson
    Linux user since the 90's, Ubuntu user since 7.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkcrimson View Post
    Nice! Have fun with that
    Thanks, hopefully it'll keep me encouraged to use it as it's a site I want to try and update daily

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

What do I use Ubuntu for? - A variety of things:

1. Speed - Windows is slow, bulky, and only good for games that I play that aren't available (or have an equivalent to) on Linux.
    2. Software - Besides office and virtualization, I use audio mixers, video editors, photo editing (GIMP is my favorite), development tools, web browsing, finance software etc.
    3. Price - FREE, it's FREE and if I really need to change something I can compile the code myself.

What specifically do I usually do:

Usually I setup an apache server, install bluefish, Exaile, and the "restricted-extras" right off the bat. Exaile is my favorite audio player and I need good music to listen to whilst I play. I end up surfing the web looking for references and program in python with Eclipse (or as of late I'm trying out Qt Creator). Then I browse the software center looking at different software that I haven't tried. I open my catalog and view my items that I've cataloged (video games) via GCStar. I pop onto the forums to see if I can help others out, and now as of recent when I'm done I open Netflix and watch Netflix on Linux (found a great article of how to get it working and it works great). When I'm all done with that, if I want to play a game I usually play OpenTyrian (I LOVE IT), or games I've purchased from the Humble Indie Bundles.

When I'm in an experimentation mood I play with financing software, play with LibreOffice pivot tables, old-school emulation, burn DVDs, make images, setup LDAP in VMs, test my network for security holes, etc.

In Windows I generally have Chrome and Steam open. I either play games or am surfing the net. I love Linux and soon I'm going to say bye to Windows as it's really falling away from what I use it for. Gaming is about it.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

its my main and only a computer. i use it for all sorts of things.

more often for research (usually computer operating systems and applications), daily linux news, email and watching videos.

less often for other reading, taking screenshots, listening to music, creating panel themes, instant messaging, these forums.

i dont connect any devices except for my phone.
    Last edited by black veils; March 5th, 2013 at 10:26 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast