Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

I'm sure there have been plenty of posts like this before, but I just wanted a nice discussion about how people are actually using Ubuntu.

I've been using Ubuntu since 8.04(ish) but only recently have I completely nuked my Windows install and gone solely for a Ubuntu setup. I work as a web developer so a lot of my time is devoted to researching and developing sites in ASP.Net, PHP, and Javascript (yes it's real programming). So I love the simplicity of Ubuntu and the speed and power it gives me.

I have to confess I haven't been able to completely get rid of Windows, as I need Visual Studio (yes MonoDevelop's good, but Visual Studio it ain't!). So I keep a virtual machine or two about.

I love my Ubuntu install and I wanted to know what different and interesting ways people use Ubuntu.
    Registered Ubuntu User: #14595

Beans

Re: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

For everything here. No Windows to be found.

We run two retail stores with ubuntu machines. We do POS/Accounting/Inventory control with them.

We also do desktop publishing for all in store printed materials. Signs/menus/notices, things like that.

We have a server that handles all printing from all locations (2 stores and home), email server. I have all of my email accounts forwarded to that machine for archival purposes. It also runs as a mineserver server for my son.

At home we have a dedicated media server delivering all of our movies including our home movie collection.

Another machine holds a whole bunch of drive space and acts as a central backup server.

So, as you can see, pretty much everything is done in Ubuntu, or a flavour thereof depending on the power of the machine.

Beans

A coffee coaster
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

All my school work, e-mail and web stuff, music and pictures. Windows-free here and my parents love it too!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

The usual stuff everyone uses it for. I do art with it (Gimp + Bamboo),watch movies,etc. I have two computers with just Ubuntu on them since I dumped Windows ages ago..
    Last edited by Linuxratty; March 2nd, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mo_roodi View Post
    I'm sure there have been plenty of posts like this before, but I just wanted a nice discussion about how people are actually using Ubuntu.

I've been using Ubuntu since 8.04(ish) but only recently have I completely nuked my Windows install and gone solely for a Ubuntu setup. I work as a web developer so a lot of my time is devoted to researching and developing sites in ASP.Net, PHP, and Javascript (yes it's real programming). So I love the simplicity of Ubuntu and the speed and power it gives me.

I have to confess I haven't been able to completely get rid of Windows, as I need Visual Studio (yes MonoDevelop's good, but Visual Studio it ain't!). So I keep a virtual machine or two about.

I love my Ubuntu install and I wanted to know what different and interesting ways people use Ubuntu.
    Just out of interest, why don't you use Eclipse or NetBeans? Is it for the ASP.Net? I'm not a developer, just curious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just for everything I need a computing device for
    I also use it for online banking, no issues under Linux what so ever... Well, to be honest there are some glitches here and there, but I'm quite happy with my Ubuntu installation in general, if it wasn't the ATI and Broadcom hardware... But that's my mistake, I'll never buy any product from these vendors if I'm to use Linux...
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use it for nearly everything I do on a computer: writing documentation, editing of other people's (usually university) assignments, updating a couple of websites that I maintain, syncing my phone - and of course the usual internet surfing, email and listing to music/watching movies. Very occasionally, I make a DVD from video clips.

I do have a Windows installation. These days, it mainly gets used to check how websites look in Internet Explorer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use it for my server since my friends and coworkers don't want to use anything else (probably because of the LTS release that Ubuntu Server has). Besides that, it's really all I use it for. I've tried to use it for the desktop but Windows, ChromeOS, or another distro of Linux are what I'd use mostly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For everything that I do with my desktop, and Ubuntu never lets me down. From handling my work data to my home entertainment streaming, Ubuntu just works for me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast