Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need server pc parts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Need server pc parts

Hello,
    i need the parts to make a BASIC server pc for my company.
    i have a hd, ram, and dvd drive. i need:
    a mother board, a cpu, a Wifi/wlan pci card(or a ethernet), a windows xp/2000/vista cd-rom. i have up to 20 dollars. the mb needs to be solid state SATA acceptable and INTEL only cpus. i may pay a little more if the price is unbudgeable.
    Please, help. i need this as soon as possible. pm/post if u want.

Re: Need server pc parts

Since it is for your company, they should pay for the parts. Why are they not?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, Sef, i cannot afford to buy the high end premium parts, and its actually my own business. i created it. i mainly do pc/laptop repairs for cheap. but, on the side me and a co-worker of mine are making a super-pc/ gaming console. i have little to no money to spend on this. thats why i came here. thanks for your concern. if you would like to visit my website, pm me and i can send you the link. ig that im not allowed to post it on here.
    gerrman out

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A legal Windows CD will cost you more than $20, and that leaves nothing for the hardware. Sorry, you are dreaming if you think you can do this on your budget.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    A legal Windows CD will cost you more than $20, and that leaves nothing for the hardware. Sorry, you are dreaming if you think you can do this on your budget.
    i meant per part, and i am actually going to just use vista for the time being, which i have. unless i can get ubuntu on a cd, then thats what im going to use. if you can find me a server program, id be delighted, i have gotten my old hp desktop to run, i just need to get an IDE to SATA converter so i can use my larger hdd. i accidentally shorted out the cpu fan, and it over heated and burnt itself out. i have replaced both parts. also, is the heatsync i used on the previous cpu ok to usew on the same version of cpu?

Beans
    Distro

I assume you mean you want a file server. Ubuntu functions very nicely as a file server. Download Ubuntu, use Unetbootin for Pendrive Linux (Windows programs) to put it onto a flash drive. The latest Ubuntu is quite marginal on a machine with 512 MB of memory, so if that's what your HP has, look for a different variant, such as Xubuntu 12.04.

The only IDE to SATA adapter I could find costs $20, and may not deliver the performance you want.

If you reuse a CPU heatsink, clean it and apply new thermal paste!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

can you post a link showing where i could find an adapter? i really need it. my largest hdd that is IDE is only are measly 30 gigs. my SATA is 1TB. i have about 316 megs of ram, hoping to upgrade that soon. is there anything that is lighter than xubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Amazon has adapters, also Newegg. 316 MB of RAM is a weird number -- and not enough for Xubuntu. I don't know about Puppy these days, and there's always DSL or Slitaz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

iyeah. im upgrading ASAP. i was able to run ubuntu 12.04 for a whioe. was veryyyyyy slow.

Beans

Why don't you look for a cheap old Dell P4, Pentium D, Core 2/Duo. I see a lot of those floating around for under $100. We use to refurbish them and sell them for $30-80 on craigslist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast