Thread: Installing drivers for graphics cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing drivers for graphics cards

Sorry, in my haste I forgot to add the whole path. Use:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-precise.list.save.1 ~/
    Also, sory for the confusion, I seem to be giving you instructions just as you already do them.

Beans

First of all,
    Mr Shannon achievement unlocked: Legend Statu
    Heheh, at least in my books!

I wish there were some way to show my appreciation beyond letting you know that your service has really helped someone out there (me) in digital land! Unless you are on Vancouver Island and I can get ya a cup of coffee for your efforts! Heheh

So you say bumblebee works for you? I would be keen to try it again, but I feel I should read up on it some more first and go back to the forums and post some warnings on the code recommendations.

So yes, thanks again for all your effort offered to a complete stranger! I will be passing it on, you can be assured of that.

Beans

One last thing if you don't mind....

It would be your opinion and experience that these would be the codes to run if and when I go for Bumblebee again:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia

Beans
    Distro

So is your sytem working now?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternRyno View Post
    One last thing if you don't mind....

It would be your opinion and experience that these would be the codes to run if and when I go for Bumblebee again:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
    Yes, that should work. To be on the safe side I would install the linux-headers-generic first:
    Code:
    sudo  apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    before installing bumblebee.

Glad to be of help.
    Last edited by Mr. Shannon; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:52 AM.

Beans

I have a stable desktop now, can restart and reboot with no problem, update manager loads however I haven't installed them yet and I am no longer receiving error messages. So yes, for all intensive purposes, I believe my system is working now. I still want to address the graphics card issue, but as mentioned, I need to read more first to avoid this fiasco or any others like it again. Thanks again for coming to my rescue!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you consider the problem solved, please mark the thread so.
    A temporary solution is described here.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I don't think I will consider this closed as I would like to first post here the proper code sequence for installing Bumblebee for a Nvidia GE 610M Optimus graphics card for Ubuntu 12.04. Am waiting to hear from the Bumblebee team and will move forward from then.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

WesternRyno;
    Well done ! Welcome to our world, where there is a will there is a way.

We stand-by awaiting a fruitionus outcome.

happu ubuntu'n

Beans

Heheh, thanks for the welcome meng. Forgive my post drama there, I had reached a point of exhaustion from all the walls I'd hit and was anxious to get on with work.

As for the issue of Nvidia Optimus cards, specifically for me the GE 610M I'm still unresolved as to the best solution and am currently reading and asking questions. Here's where I'm at with troubleshooting possibilities:

1) Download the Nvidia driver direct from their site. I know the warnings for this but this link is at least making me consider it:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/21812...n-ubuntu-12-04
    The fella doesn't say if he had luck adjusting his resolution after the fact, so I will have to dig some more.l

2) Download and install Bumblebee. This appeals to me, however, I have a few concerns based on the seemingly conflicting code suggestions and the long term support from these guys. I have no reason to doubt the longterm support, but it is something to consider as they are only a few in number. Anyways, this code sequence from Mr Shannon here will be the one I will likely try:

i) sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    ii) sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    iii) sudo apt-get update
    iv) sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia

I've also contacted the Bumblebee guys to see what their input is, and have seen this code sequence for this card as well:
    i) sudo apt-get install linux-source
    ii) sudo apt-get install linux
    iii) sudo apt-get autoremove nvidia-current
    iv) sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-all
    v) sudo apt-add-repository ppa:noobslab/nvidia-quantal
    vi) sudo apt-get update
    vii) sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    viii) sudo reboot
    Last edited by WesternRyno; March 3rd, 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro

As for number 1, that will probably only work if you set the BIOS to dedicated graphics mode. And I would try letting Ubuntu install it's drivers (also from nvidia, just a little older) while running in dedicated graphics mode before using the drivers downloaded from NVIDIA. It can be a mess and your system will likely break every time ubuntu installs a new kernel.

As for the second option, the first string of commands lists nothing about Bumblebee so I am unsure why you have that under the Bumblebee section. Also, those commands are for ubuntu 12.10, not 12.04.

Long term support on a project is always up in the air for open source projects, they come and go (some stay forever). However, you should remember that the linux kernel was started by one guy. Also, you can always switch solutions down the road if one no longer works.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast