Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Installing drivers for graphics cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing drivers for graphics cards

Don't worry about the "Please report this bug" message, that is being caused by the other errors. I can't tell for sure since you did not put the result of cat in CODE tags, but it looks from the error that the last three characters of main "ain" have somehow ended up on the third line. You will need to fix this and then continue with the instructions in my previous post. To do this, first make a backup:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-precise.list ~/
    this will store a copy in your home directory. Now edit the file and move "ain" from the 3rd line back up to the second so that it spells "main". You can edit the file with:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-precise.list
    Remember to save the file with ctrl-o and then the Enter key before exiting with ctrl-x.
    NOTE: you should probably do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    after fixing this file before continuing with the instructions in my previous post.

I am realy sorry this is so complicated.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by WesternRyno View Post
    ii nvidia-common 1:0.2.44.2 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
    ii nvidia-current-updates 304.64-0ubuntu0.2 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    ii nvidia-settings-updates 304.43-0ubuntu0.2 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    It is safe to remove those packages and since everything is currently messed up I would go ahead and remove those for now.
    Last edited by Mr. Shannon; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:11 AM.

Beans

Mr Shannon, thanks again so much for sticking around and helping me out. It kinda blows me away that you would do so. Here is the CODE from the cat:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu precise main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu precise main
    ain

Should I just delete the ain?

I figured how to do so in the edit code you gave me, but I can't figure how to exit? Shift + 6 to get the symbol?

I'm sorry I don't get all this as fast as I'd like, I wasn't expecting any of it......frustrating yes, but I am learning an absolute load here...anyways, back to the task at hand. Will update asap

ahh, it means cntrl ok.
    Last edited by WesternRyno; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu precise main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu precise main
    ain

Should I just delete the ain?
    Yes delete the trailing ain, that should allow apt to read from the repository and thus for the ppa-purge to work.

Beans

Ok, edited the file....

Ran

sudo apt-get update

seemed to go well, but at the end got this line:

N: Ignoring file 'bumblebee-stable-precise.list.save.1' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

Beans

Dude, if you need/want to bail, I understand....I will just re-install Ubuntu tomorrow and go from there....if you are able and willing, here is where I'm at after running this code from you:

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-common nvidia-current nvidia-settings

I get:
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    nvidia-common* ubuntu-desktop*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 49 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 213 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 167976 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing ubuntu-desktop ...
    Removing nvidia-common ...
    Purging configuration files for nvidia-common ...
    Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
    ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
    N: Ignoring file 'bumblebee-stable-precise.list.save.1' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

Beans

OH hey! The Red error sign has disappeared from my top menu bar, that's a good sign! Crowd cheers!

Update manager works now too!

Thanks man, I'm gonna be re-reading all this to see how you've done this. But am I purged and ready now for your other instructions?

Beans

Ok, I ran your purging instructions and got good and favourable results aside from the N: ignoring .....

You say now to reboot back into the graphical environment...does that mean go into BIOS and put Optimus back on?

Beans
    Distro

Do:
    Code:
    sudo mv bumblebee-stable-precise.list.save.1 ~/
    That file was probably accidentally created when editing the file. This will move it into your home directory. You can delete it from there after you are sure it is not necessary.

Next go ahead and remove those nvidia packages with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove --purge nvidia-common nvidia-current-updates nvidia-settings-updates
    your packages were a little different than the ones installed on my system so the command I gave you previously was incorrect.

Then do the ppa-purge as I described earlier for both ppa's.

Finally reboot. You should now be back to a working system without bumblebee.

If you chose to try bumblebee again just remember not to use the ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates repository.

Beans
    Distro

You say now to reboot back into the graphical environment...does that mean go into BIOS and put Optimus back on?
    I would return the settings to the same as they where before. If that works and you don't wan't to use bumblebee then you can try changing it to the integrated graphics and if that does not work then just change it back.

Beans

Running code: sudo mv bumblebee-stable-precise.list.save.1 ~/

Leads to this:

mv: cannot stat `bumblebee-stable-precise.list.save.1': No such file or directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast