Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing drivers for graphics cards

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing drivers for graphics cards

WesternRyno;
    I do not run with optimus and/or Bumblebee// But, my recolection on the matter is on the command line preceed the program/application name on the command line with the parameter "optirun". As to how it applies to the utility "cairodock" ; I do not know but can not see how optirun applies to a desk top utility.
    There is a lot of info on the 'net in respect to "optirun". Might I suggest a quick "Google" search on the term... it returns lots of hits.
    not much help now, but still here in the event I can

Beans

Well, I think I am done trying to get Ubuntu to work on my new Ultrabook. After installing bumblebee to the letter, I cannot reboot into Ubuntu and get either the black screen or the purple screen. I see how it works well for older computers, but this has been nothing but a week long hassle for me. I'm out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

WesternRyno;
    Sorry to hear that and regretfull that I have not been of sufficient help. Have patience and others may offer better support.
    hang in there

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by WesternRyno View Post
    Well, I think I am done trying to get Ubuntu to work on my new Ultrabook. After installing bumblebee to the letter, I cannot reboot into Ubuntu and get either the black screen or the purple screen.
    Sorry to hear that. Did you use the ppa to install (you should). Also, did you use the ubuntu-x-swat repository (you should not). If you could post what commands you used to install bumblebee that would help.

I see how it works well for older computers, but this has been nothing but a week long hassle for me. I'm out.
    My less than 6 month old Lenovo ThinkPad works fine with optimus. I remember having some trouble getting optimus to run correctly at first but I don't remember it causing boot issues.

If all you want your graphics card for is Cairodock then I suggest you let the integrated graphics card handle that. You can undo the install of bumblebee and the NVIDIA drivers (hopefully fixing your system) by using ctrl+alt+F1 to switch to tty1. Login and then execute the following commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove --purge bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-common nvidia-current nvidia-settings
    then reboot and select your integrated graphics card in the BIOS (mine is an option under display). My BIOS says integrated graphics not not UMA, but UMA does have something to do with Intel integrated graphics so that might be it. The option should let you chose between optimus, NVIDIA, and the integrated card. Some systems may not have all those options however.

If it is a new computer then it will probably have an Intel 3000 or Intel 4000 integrated card in it which is plenty powerful for most users. I drive two full HD screens off of one and sometimes play video at the same time (without the NVIDIA card). Disclaimer: my CPU is a quad core hyperthreaded i7 so that may account for some of that performance.

Beans

Mr. Shannon,

SIr, I could really use any assitance. I took a break, formatted my drives, did a fresh install of 12.04 and have been re-attempting bumblebee, but to no avail. I've gotten close, but no cigar. I followed what seemed like solid instructions on the following links, but was met with an E: unable to locate package Bumblebee-nvidia and then got you have held broken packages.

http://bumblebee-project.org/install.html#Ubuntu
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/36930...a-optimus-work
    https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...ding-on-Ubuntu

I've purged bumblebee so I can start over but am a bit at a loss. Will read more but am getting a bit scrambled from all this. Thanks for any help!

edit: I should add that I saw threads before hand warning not to download a driver direct from Nvidia so have fortunately avoided that pitfall. Currently, I have 12.04 running, seemingly stable with a few things I want to overcome before I can consider myself happy with my set-up, the foremost one being the graphics card. I don't intend to play games, but need it for design. This is my attempt to use open source on a PC rather than shell out for a Mac.
    Last edited by WesternRyno; March 2nd, 2013 at 05:06 AM.

Beans

So this would not be the route to take in the terminal then?

1. Add a PPA containing recent drivers as the one in the repositories is possibly outdated:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    2. Add the Stable Bumblebee Releases PPA and install Bumblebee using the proprietary NVIDIA driver:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia linux-headers-generic

Beans

Ok, after a bumblebee purge.....here we goooooo

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable

sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia linux-headers-generic

I then get four errors:
    E: Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list etc/apt/source.list.d/bumblebee-stable-precise.list
    E: THe list of sources could not be read
    E: Unable to locate package bumblebee
    E: Unable to locate package bumblebee-nvidia
    Last edited by WesternRyno; March 2nd, 2013 at 05:24 AM.

Beans

I now have an additional issue with update manager, despite another purge:

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.
    Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:
    'E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-precise.list'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So this would not be the route to take in the terminal then?

1. Add a PPA containing recent drivers as the one in the repositories is possibly outdated:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    2. Add the Stable Bumblebee Releases PPA and install Bumblebee using the proprietary NVIDIA driver:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia linux-headers-generic
    No, the ubuntu-x-swat/x-ubdates is for older versions of Ubuntu. This is likely what broke your system.

So now you have to purge that ppa. So go to the terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    then run
    Code:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:bumblebee/stable
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    that should return your system to the state it was in before installing either repository. Be sure to note any errors. If the remove of the bumblebee repository fails then run:
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-precise.list
    and post the result back here. It should be:
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu precise main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu precise main
    next run:
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep nvidia
    if it lists any packeges then they should probably be removed but post these first so someone on the forum can confirm.

If all the above commands were successful and there were no nvidia packages installed then you can run the commands below to install bumblebee properly (I would try to boot back into the graphical environment first just to make sure it is working now):
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
    Last edited by Mr. Shannon; March 2nd, 2013 at 07:32 AM.

Beans

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to help me out...I'm going a bit batty here.

I receive errors after this code:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:bumblebee/stable

They are as follows:
    E: Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-precise.list'
    E: The list of sources could not be read
    Warning: apt-get update failed for some reason

So I run the cat code and it does look like:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu precise main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu precise main

Then I run:
    dpkg -l | grep nvidia

and get this:

ii nvidia-common 1:0.2.44.2 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
    ii nvidia-current-updates 304.64-0ubuntu0.2 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    ii nvidia-settings-updates 304.43-0ubuntu0.2 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

PS update manager now won't work and I get this error:
    An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bumblebee-stable-precise.list'
    Last edited by WesternRyno; March 2nd, 2013 at 08:01 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast