Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing drivers for graphics cards

Beans

Installing drivers for graphics cards

Hi, I read in the forums that using the OEM driver should be the last option for Ubuntu users. Curious why this is so? I have a new Lenovo with an Nvidia GE 610M card and Ubuntu 12.04 is not recognizing it. I have seen the options in the forum and I will try them, just curious why I can't use the one offered from Nvidia and if anyone has any current advice? Thanks!
    Last edited by WesternRyno; March 1st, 2013 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing drivers for graphics cards

Looking that card up on NVIDA's site it says it supports optimus, thus it is designed to work in tandem with the integrated graphics on your processor. If your computer is setup in this way (as mine is) then that is why Ubuntu does not recognize it. Last time I heard NVIDIA had not released OEM drivers for optimus support on linux. This leaves you with three options.

1. Go into the BIOS and turn the video card off and use the integrated graphics.

2. Go into the BIOS and set the computer to always use the NVIDIA card (uses more power). Ubuntu might recognize the card after this and offer to install drivers. I have not tested this.

3. Use http://bumblebee-project.org. This will allow you to launch an application and tell it to use the NVIDIA card. NOTE: this in not system wide, it is a command line program that allows you to launch a program and have it use the dedicated graphics. This is what I use. However, unless you game or use other graphics heavy applications you will probably find that you hardly ever use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

WesternRyno;
    In response to why not use OEM drivers...They have no direct support from linux and when kerenel and or Xserver, GUI updates are performed it breaks the initilaizations to the driver, requiring each time to (re)install the driver.
    Now the case at hand is a bit different, somewhat old info, but most likely still apt:
    Your 610M is an Intel/Nvidia hybrid card, and it is not officially supported by Nvidia. See this link here for installing the drivers: Switchable laptop graphics issues on Ubuntu 12.04?
    This link for howto to get the driver:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/16024...u-12-04/160310

Hope this helps

Beans

Sweet! Thanks a lot for this info man, I'm going to go now and try to set this up. Will post results.

Beans

@ Mr Shannon Question regarding option 1. In my configuration it lists Graphic Device [Optimus] with an option to change it to UMA only. Is this the equivalent to turning the video card off?

Thanks for your help by the way!

Beans

@Mr Shannon
    Which option do you use?

edit: never mind, just re-read what you wrote.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by WesternRyno View Post
    just curious why I can't use the one offered from Nvidia!
    On Linux you generally get all your software straight from your distro. You don't have to go and collect it from fifty different places. You get it all straight from the repositories. That means it's been tested with the distro, and you can use a single package manager to do all your installs, updates and removals. It's much cleaner, simpler and easier than the messy Windows way.

Beans

@paqman
    I see, this makes perfect sense. Thanks for that.....continuing to ride the learning curve here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121367 is an example why I have resisted any temptation to install proprietary video drivers from the OEM web site. Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

@bashing om

Thanks for the link you supplied. I'm going to follow it now and install bumblebee. I have one last query on this subject. In the thread from the link, it says:

Then when you need 3D graphics for a program, run it as optirun program. To save power on laptops, it runs only that single program through your nvidia graphics card. To start nvidia-settings, run this optirun nvidia-settings -c :8

How does one run a program, such as Cairodock, as an optirun program? Is this from the terminal?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast