Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ip link - not showing eth0 or wlan0, only shows lo

Beans

ip link - not showing eth0 or wlan0, only shows lo

Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 and I am unable to get my internet to work. When running $ ip link - it only shows lo

$ lspci | grep Ethernet
    shows
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)

Can anyone help me get my internet working?

Thanks for any help.

Beans

Re: ip link - not showing eth0 or wlan0, only shows lo

Check that the device is on

1. Many wireless network devices can be turned on or off. Check to see if there is a hardware switch, some devices can be switched off from Windows and may need to be turned back on from Windows.
    2. If it is turned on then see the section called “Check for device recognition”.

Check for device recognition

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: sudo lshw -C network

You should see an output, along with the words "CLAIMED, UNCLAIMED, ENABLED or DISABLED"

1. Claimed - this indicates a driver is loaded but not functioning, see the section called “Using Windows Wireless Drivers”
    2. Unclaimed - there is no driver loaded, see the section called “Using Windows Wireless Drivers”.
    3. Enabled - there is a driver loaded, see the section called “Check for a connection to the router”.
    4. Disabled - see the section called “Check that the device is on”.

Using Windows Wireless Drivers

Ubuntu supports a system known as NDISWrapper. This allows you to use a Windows wireless device driver under Ubuntu.

1. Obtain the Windows Driver for your system and locate the file that ends with .inf.
    2. Install the ndisgtk package.
    3. Open ndisgtk (System → Administration → Windows Wireless Drivers).
    4. Select Install new driver.
    5. Choose the location of your Windows .inf file and click Install.
    6. Click OK.

Check for a connection to the router

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: iwconfig.
    2. If the ESSID for our router is shown there may be a problem with ACPI support. Boot the kernel with the pci=noacpi option.

Check IP assignment

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: ifconfig.
    2. If there is an IP address shown see the section called “Check DNS”.
    3. From the Terminal enter the command: sudo dhclient if_name where if_name is the connection listed earlier.
    4. If you receive a message that says bound to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then see the section called “Check DNS”
    5. If not then reboot the system.

Check DNS

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: ping -c3 85.190.27.2.
    2. Now type the command: ping www.ubuntu.com. If you get a response from both then see the section called “IPv6 Not Supported”.
    3. Type the command: cat /etc/resolv.conf. If there is no nameserver listed then contact your ISP and find out your primary and secondary domain name servers. Once you have this information see the section called “Wireless”.

IPv6 Not Supported

1. IPv6 is supported by default in Ubuntu and can sometimes cause problems.
    2. To disable it, open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.
    3. Find the line alias net-pf-10 ipv6 and change it to read alias net-pf-10 off.
    4. Reboot Ubuntu.

Beans

The wireless hardware switch is on, but that shouldn't matter for a wired connection right?

For lshw -C network
    My wireless network controller doesn't say claimed, unclaimed, enabled or disabled.
    For Ethernet it says UNCLAIMED

iwconfig
    says
    lo no wireless extensions

ifconfig
    shows inet addr:127.0.0.1 for lo
    pinging 127.0.0.1 works
    pinging www.ubuntu.com says unknown host

Quote Originally Posted by TimeCrank View Post
    Check that the device is on

1. Many wireless network devices can be turned on or off. Check to see if there is a hardware switch, some devices can be switched off from Windows and may need to be turned back on from Windows.
    2. If it is turned on then see the section called “Check for device recognition”.

Check for device recognition

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: sudo lshw -C network

You should see an output, along with the words "CLAIMED, UNCLAIMED, ENABLED or DISABLED"

1. Claimed - this indicates a driver is loaded but not functioning, see the section called “Using Windows Wireless Drivers”
    2. Unclaimed - there is no driver loaded, see the section called “Using Windows Wireless Drivers”.
    3. Enabled - there is a driver loaded, see the section called “Check for a connection to the router”.
    4. Disabled - see the section called “Check that the device is on”.

Using Windows Wireless Drivers

Ubuntu supports a system known as NDISWrapper. This allows you to use a Windows wireless device driver under Ubuntu.

1. Obtain the Windows Driver for your system and locate the file that ends with .inf.
    2. Install the ndisgtk package.
    3. Open ndisgtk (System → Administration → Windows Wireless Drivers).
    4. Select Install new driver.
    5. Choose the location of your Windows .inf file and click Install.
    6. Click OK.

Check for a connection to the router

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: iwconfig.
    2. If the ESSID for our router is shown there may be a problem with ACPI support. Boot the kernel with the pci=noacpi option.

Check IP assignment

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: ifconfig.
    2. If there is an IP address shown see the section called “Check DNS”.
    3. From the Terminal enter the command: sudo dhclient if_name where if_name is the connection listed earlier.
    4. If you receive a message that says bound to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then see the section called “Check DNS”
    5. If not then reboot the system.

Check DNS

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: ping -c3 85.190.27.2.
    2. Now type the command: ping www.ubuntu.com. If you get a response from both then see the section called “IPv6 Not Supported”.
    3. Type the command: cat /etc/resolv.conf. If there is no nameserver listed then contact your ISP and find out your primary and secondary domain name servers. Once you have this information see the section called “Wireless”.

IPv6 Not Supported

1. IPv6 is supported by default in Ubuntu and can sometimes cause problems.
    2. To disable it, open a Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and type the command: gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.
    3. Find the line alias net-pf-10 ipv6 and change it to read alias net-pf-10 off.
    4. Reboot Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Soulhuntor View Post
    Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 and I am unable to get my internet to work. When running $ ip link - it only shows lo

$ lspci | grep Ethernet
    shows
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)

Can anyone help me get my internet working?

Thanks for any help.
    What's the output of:

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    What's the output of:

Code:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0228]
    Kernel modules: b44

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:0007]
    Kernel driver in use: wl

Beans

So both have drivers activated? Strange.

Is this a plain install of Ubuntu 12.04? Out of the box?

Can you try if the Wifi works?

And: Start Software sources (via "Dash" in the upper left corner), and then click on the Additional Drivers tab. Does it show anything?
    Last edited by sanderj; February 17th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    So both have drivers activated? Strange.

Is this a plain install of Ubuntu 12.04? Out of the box?

Can you try if the Wifi works?

And: Start Software sources (via "Dash" in the upper left corner), and then click on the Additional Drivers tab. Does it show anything?
    Yes it is a plain install of Ubuntu 12.04.2

Wifi does not work either

Running Additional Drivers comes up with a window saying "Downloading package indexes failed, please check your network status. Most drivers will not be available." if I close that, the additional drivers window comes up, but nothing is there to enable.

Beans

Can you use/borrow a USB (wifi) network dongle so that Ubuntu can download the addtional drivers?

Beans

Can you use/borrow a USB (wifi) network dongle so that Ubuntu can download the addtional drivers?
    Yeah, but wouldn't I possibly need to download some drivers for that?

I'm reinstalling Ubuntu now. I can get a wired connection working with the installer. So I am going to download updates with the install and hopefully that fixes any problems.

Edit: Reinstalling with updates did not help. Also with the first install, Ubuntu took ~30 seconds to boot, now it's taking ~90 seconds
    Last edited by Soulhuntor; February 17th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, it looks like your ethernet and wireless are conflicting
    please do..

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    sudo modprobe b43
    sudo modprobe b44
    let us know if that works for you
    thanks