Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not able to see Ubuntu from windows 7 but am able to see windows from Ubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not able to see Ubuntu from windows 7 but am able to see windows from Ubuntu 12.10

Good Afternoon!

I'm trying to setup a small system to have running in the house to serve as an NAS/Torrent Downloader etc. Ive been following http://lifehacker.com/5919558/turn-a...ne-with-ubuntu. I couldnt find the exact option to turn on windows sharing within 12.10 so i started a samba server, which works wonderfully from the ubuntu side but i am not able to see the computer from the windows 7 side. I followed the article on http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/10/...antal-quetzal/

The really weird thing is i am able to see the plex media server under media devices but not an actual computer with the computers name.
    Thank you for the help in advance. Gotta love the community with Ubuntu, its what keeps me coming back.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Not able to see Ubuntu from windows 7 but am able to see windows from Ubuntu 12.1

I am also able to connect through Tightvnc so i can remote desktop
    Thank you for the help in advance. Gotta love the community with Ubuntu, its what keeps me coming back.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Not able to see Ubuntu from windows 7 but am able to see windows from Ubuntu 12.1

Bump
    Anyone else gone this route?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Robert98374 View Post
    i am not able to see the computer
    Could you be more specific? Do you mean you can't ping it even by IP? Or only by name? The latter is easily fixed using hosts file.

Beans
    Distro

Under Computer>Network Its not listed there, but the plex media server is

Beans

There's some security settings that need to be changed in Win 7 before it will see other computers on the network. Take a look at the first few steps of this guide.

Beans
    Distro

Yeppers all those setting are on since ive already have my other computers in the house networked

Beans
    Distro

Those settings are all running correctly

Beans
    Distro

OK so now i can see the ubuntu computer from windows when i directly open the ip address of the computer

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Like I said before, the easiest way to get name resolution working is to edit hosts file on your Windows machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast