Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not able to see Ubuntu from windows 7 but am able to see windows from Ubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Not able to see Ubuntu from windows 7 but am able to see windows from Ubuntu 12.1

Gotcha, so i would just add the ip address to the host file and t will show up?
    Thank you for the help in advance. Gotta love the community with Ubuntu, its what keeps me coming back.

Beans

Re: Not able to see Ubuntu from windows 7 but am able to see windows from Ubuntu 12.1

That ip address static by any chance?
    If it isn't then the hosts file may have to be changed every time you boot into that box - and if you know the ip address then you can access it that way......

Just out of curiosity run the following command and count the number of characters:
    Code:
    hostname
    Is it 16 or more characters long? If it is then that's your problem. A minor change to /etc/samba/smb.conf will fix that.

Beans
    Distro

The IP address is static, i set it on my router so i could keep the address in VNC, it is more than 16 characters, how would that make a difference?
    Last edited by Robert98374; March 3rd, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Thank you for the help in advance. Gotta love the community with Ubuntu, its what keeps me coming back.

Beans

Netbios names should be 15 or less characters long to be recognized by Windows. Since your hostname is longer, you need to add netbios name line to the [global] section of your smb.conf. E.g.
    Code:
    netbios name = myhost
    Last edited by prodigy_; March 3rd, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Kewl thanks! I just changed the host name to nas instead what it was

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12