Thread: Stop dist-upgrade / partial upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Stop dist-upgrade / partial upgrade

So, without any conscious act on my part, my 12.04 system is prompting me for a partial upgrade on every run of Update Manager, which makes me thing it's trying to do a dist-upgrade. It's not what I want - I want to stay on 12.04. Is there a way to stop it from trying to do this upgrade?

If I run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    I get
    Code:
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Screenshot of the error message:
    Last edited by reedk; March 27th, 2013 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Stop dist-upgrade / partial upgrade

Something is wrong with the screenshot you attached. I can't view it.

dist-upgrade will not upgrade you to 12.10. To upgrade to 12.10 you would have to do a do-release-upgrade.

Do you get any error messages from this command?
    Quote Originally Posted by reedk View Post
    If I run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; March 1st, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, no error at all. That's what's odd. Just the pop up window when Update Manager runs. The error is the standard "Partial Upgrade" message that can come up, with options to perform a partial upgrade or cancel. I did not know that about do-release-upgrade - thanks for the info.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by reedk View Post
    No, no error at all. That's what's odd. Just the pop up window when Update Manager runs. The error is the standard "Partial Upgrade" message that can come up, with options to perform a partial upgrade or cancel. I did not know that about do-release-upgrade - thanks for the info.
    I wish I could view the screenshot. No error messages. Well, if you have a backup of important files then do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Post any errors you get.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For the record do not accept that offer. Just click continue and run the update as usual. Those of us who run the next release of Ubuntu while it is being developed get that message from time to time. I have been getting it for the last few days on 13.04. My guess is that Update Manager is confused. Some libraries are being updated and they depend on other libraries that are not yet in the repositories. Therefore those libraries are not being brought in. So, Update Manager is offering a Partial Upgrade as if you are partway through an upgrade.

If you accept that offer then older libraries will be removed without their replacements being available and your system will break. I had it happen to me. Just ignore the message and over the next few days the situation will right itself. How often do you update? You might try doing it daily for a while.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

If you indeed do have a partial update then enter these commands:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You may be onto something. After being away for a few hours, I sat down to look into this further and no longer get the error message from Update Manager. My update schedule is weekly (for non-security upgrades). I'm suprised to see that on an LTS (I don't recall it ever happening betwixt 10.04 and 12.04) but the behavior matches your description. I'll ignore it for another week and if I still have issues I'll try the dist-upgrade recommended by Old_Grey_Wolf. Then I'll come back and update it as solved or investigate further.

Thanks all!

Beans

Xubuntu 12.10 here. I took the partial upgrade. Advice: AVOID!!!
    Wine was removed, but not upgraded. I hope nothing else was lost.
    I hope it helps that I opted to keep the package files rather than remove them, which the upgrader said could take hours. Some of those files looked important.

I'm starting to wonder if this is even legit. I take every regular update that's offered. So how could I need some special "upgrade" this time.

I was able to reinstall wine.

Can anyone explain what the partial upgrade was supposed to achieve?
    Experienced hands: is it best to ignore the "partial upgrade" notice, and just update as normal?
    Last edited by jcoles; March 21st, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I follwed the advice of grahammechanical and ignored the partial upgrade option, upgrading normally. After a few days, it stopped prompting me.