Thread: Suspicious "Untitled Folder" appeared on Desktop? Should I delete it?

Beans

Question Suspicious "Untitled Folder" appeared on Desktop? Should I delete it?

Hi I've been using Ubuntu for a year, but I only know very basic stuff.
    I noticed a suspicious looking "untitled folder" that appeared on my desktop, while I was working on a Word document a few days ago. I did not delete it at the time(--i figured if its normal, then i don't need to be worried, if not, deleting might aggravate the problem (the latter was a windows virus experience)).
    I know that linux is supposed to be singularly virus free, so I wasn't really worried. Today, another folder appeared while i was working. So is it normal and should i simply delete these folders?
    Each of these folders further has an untitled folder inside that doesn't seem to open. Or rather, it only opens when I select "open in a new tab". Then it has another 'untitled folder' in it, which also opens only in a new tab, and it goes on.
    And now I am worried.
    I have wine installed and working.

P.S. i just realized (thanks to google) that I have the 'newfolder.exe' virus on my flash drive, possibly from my college computer, and I have been using the usb. Could this virus affect my system?
    Last edited by Mahnoor; March 1st, 2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: realized i've been using an infected usb:(

Beans

Re: Suspicious "Untitled Folder" appeared on Desktop? Should I delete it?

IMO and instead of trying an antivirus through Wine, I'd rather just wipe your home folder clean of the .wine folder and reinstall the wine program.

From a terminal, type :

rm -f .wine
    sudo apt-get autoremove wine
    sudo apt-get install wine
    As far as your USB key is concerned, you should format it, plain and simple !
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Suspicious "Untitled Folder" appeared on Desktop? Should I delete it?

You're using Word through Wine?