Thread: Precise won't boot after upgrades

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Precise won't boot after upgrades

I just installed 12.04.2, and had it running nicely. I applied the pending upgrades, and can't get it to boot, not even "previous versions". What is going on? This is supposed to be a rock-solid LTS - I did not really expect this kind of nonsense.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Precise won't boot after upgrades

Many times installing a new distro, or upgrading a old distro will cause a hardware fault--typically a hard disk failure. Writing ~5 GB of data in one session heats the heads and when they cool, they have problems reading--thus no boot. Of course it could be a regression, something working and now, no longer working. What previous versions are you talking about? If you just installed 12.04.2, and you applied all updates, then it's possible that a kernel update also occured and that could cause a no boot situation. When booting into a rescue kernel, hit esc or Alt-F1 to bring up the messages during boot. What actually happens when you boot?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

I did a clean install of Precise. It was working beautifully. I did the updates, and no joy. I'm sure it has to do with a kernel update, and the strange quantal backports.

What actually happens when I boot is that after a bit of purple, the monitor goes black and tells me "no signal", and that's the end of that. I have work to do at the moment, but I will try the "rescue" mode at some point.

I really did not expect this from Precise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you are running a proprietary graphics driver and upgraded the kernel, then video will often crash--this sounds like a possible cause. Boot into rescue mode and there are some repair options available. Proprietary drivers often need to recompile a module to hook into kernel, and if this isn't done properly, then you loose graphics. Having spent many winters in the Granite State, I feel your pain.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I understand about proprietary drivers. I never even think about installing them until I'm all updated, have the latest kernel humming along, and am sure that all the proper headers are there. I've been at this a long time

It is rather wintry right now in the Granite State, but nothing can stop the March sun!

I will do some more poking around as soon as I have some time...