My apologies if this is a repeat, but the only posts I can find seem to relate to problems once the Ubuntu splash screen is reached. I can't get that far.
I have Windows 7. I want to dual boot. I have a verified, good ISO of Ubuntu 12.4.2 64-bit on CD. I have installed it successfully in a VirtualBox VM on Win7 to ensure the ISO is a good copy.
When I put the ISO CD in the drive and reboot, I see the following steps:
* Blue power-on screen (with F9-Setup, F10-..., F12-Network on the bottom)
* Blank screen
* Purple Ubuntu screen with a keyboard looking icon and a person in a circle icon at the bottom
* I hit any key (usually space or enter) and get a Ubuntu menu, but first a language selection. I choose English.
* I choose either Install Ubuntu or ... I forget the exact text, but the one that means "run Ubuntu off the CD"
* It seems to try to start working on that because once I select one, I can no longer cycle between the options
* After 2 to 5 seconds, the screen goes black
* Here I enter a loop:
** Blue power-on screen shows up again
** Screen goes black
I can take the CD out and Windows won't boot either. I have to do a hard shut down by pushing the power button on the tower. I can then turn it on and boot back into Windows.
* If I don't do anything on the first purple Ubuntu screen (the one with the keyboard and person in a circle at the bottom), it will still push into this same loop within 10 to 15 seconds or so.
* This is a corporate machine, so it is possible that IT has put some stuff in place that I know nothing about to prevent dual boots, live CD boots, or wiping and replacing the OS, etc.
EDIT: * My machine is an HP Z600 and has a RAID set up
Any ideas on this one?
Thank you much!