Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Think I have broke my Ubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Think I have broke my Ubuntu 12.10 (Please help)

maxalman;
    Just a matter of fixing your desk top, (re)installing should be considedered a last resort (unless one had absolutely nothing to loose/no data to save).

On that link is two methods// I also do not subscribe to adding PPA's to my system. The second method is my recomendation.

The first method requires that the PPA be added to the source.list file to obtain a script that will enabale an "implication" of "unity --reset"// I do not abscribe to adultriating my system files thus the second method is recommended.
    try'n to help

Beans

Re: Think I have broke my Ubuntu 12.10 (Please help)

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    maxalman;
    Just a matter of fixing your desk top, (re)installing should be considedered a last resort (unless one had absolutely nothing to loose/no data to save).

On that link is two methods// I also do not subscribe to adding PPA's to my system. The second method is my recomendation.

The first method requires that the PPA be added to the source.list file to obtain a script that will enabale an "implication" of "unity --reset"// I do not abscribe to adultriating my system files thus the second method is recommended.
    try'n to help
    Thanks for your help, but I tried the second method and that didn't work either, I did the first stage ok but when I did the second stage, deconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    this is what I got error spawning command line dbus --launch --autolaunch:a6140999735897661f4cb23c50ebfd83--binary-syntax --close-stderr':child process exited with code 1
    Also I really don't mind doing a reinstall as I have nothing to loose I keep everthing on windows xp. My only concern is I am dual boot and I don't want to loose my windows xp, and I would need some guidence in how to reinstall safetly
    Last edited by maxalman; March 1st, 2013 at 11:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Think I have broke my Ubuntu 12.10

maxalman;

Yes, one may (re)install and if the same username and password is utilized, current configs and setting MIGHT be retained.

I have not seen the 12.10 version, but the process, I imagine, is the same as from older versions.

In terminal identify all current partitions:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Then in the installer choose the option of "something else" keeping in mind what partitions Windows has (ntfs formatted partitions)// Point the installer to install on the partitions that were ubuntu (ext4 format).
    For your comfort, in the installer's final stage is an advisory for what it is going to do, nothing is changed to this time. Once you look at this advisory and tell the installer to go ahead and install it is done as per that advisory.
    In this manner Windows is not touched, and the install proceedure will pick up Window's as an operating system and chainload it's booloader onto grub.

(re)installing is a sledgehammer approach, but is certainly effective.
    Your current desk top is fixable with some time and effort - might be additive to the learning curve.
    If you are still unsure, by all means we will help. Post back to us -between code tags for readability- the output of the "fdisk" command to proceed with (re)installing.
    try'n to help

Beans

Smile Re: Think I have broke my Ubuntu 12.10

maxalman;

Yes, one may (re)install and if the same username and password is utilized, current configs and setting MIGHT be retained.

I have not seen the 12.10 version, but the process, I imagine, is the same as from older versions.

In terminal identify all current partitions:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Then in the installer choose the option of "something else" keeping in mind what partitions Windows has (ntfs formatted partitions)// Point the installer to install on the partitions that were ubuntu (ext4 format).
    For your comfort, in the installer's final stage is an advisory for what it is going to do, nothing is changed to this time. Once you look at this advisory and tell the installer to go ahead and install it is done as per that advisory.
    In this manner Windows is not touched, and the install proceedure will pick up Window's as an operating system and chainload it's booloader onto grub.

(re)installing is a sledgehammer approach, but is certainly effective.
    Your current desk top is fixable with some time and effort - might be additive to the learning curve.
    If you are still unsure, by all means we will help. Post back to us -between code tags for readability- the output of the "fdisk" command to proceed with (re)installing.
    try'n to help
    Good morning, I have just done a reinstall and every thing is working ok now.

Thanks for all your help it was very helpful.

Alan
    Last edited by maxalman; March 2nd, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

maxalman;

Pleased that you have resolution to your satisfaction. Glad to be of small assit.

Please mark this thread as "solved"; it aids others seeking solutiuons and others time not looking at a solved situation.

enjoy ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maxalman View Post
    Tried what you said but it didn't work. can I reinstall Ubuntu the same way I installed it via a usb stick,
    maxalman;

Pleased that you have resolution to your satisfaction. Glad to be of small assit.

Please mark this thread as "solved"; it aids others seeking solutiuons and others time not looking at a solved situation.

enjoy ubuntu
    Sorry I don't know how to mark as solved.

Beans
    Distro

maxalman;
    My failure. see if the option to mark as "solved" is not an option in "thread tools" at the top of the post.

regards

Beans

maxalman;
    My failure. see if the option to mark as "solved" is not an option in "thread tools" at the top of the post.

regards
    Tried looking there first but I don't seem to have that option.

Beans
    Distro

oops; There exist a bug in the current update. Work-a -round here;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121377

Thanks for your patience and consideration !

Beans

oops; There exist a bug in the current update. Work-a -round here;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121377

Thanks for your patience and consideration !
    I can't find the option to edit the prefix in the advanced mode.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast