Thread: Installing and uninstalling

Beans

Installing and uninstalling

I have ubuntu 12.10 and I dont know how to find the stuff I download so I can uninstall them. Example: I tried installing skype for ubuntu which didnt work. Also if anyone knows hoe to get skype working for 12.10 I would love to know thank you.

Beans

Re: Installing and uninstalling

Here are the steps for finding programs that you want to uninstall:

On the menu bar on the top, click on these: System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager

Synaptic Package Manager will open up; look for the box that's labeled "Quick Search" & type the name of the program you want to uninstall.

Click the checkbox beside the name of the program you want to uninstall, and select "Mark for Complete Removal".

Instructions on how to install Skype can be found here: http://www.noobslab.com/2012/11/inst...in-ubuntu.html

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How did you install Skype and what is not working? Please be specific.

If you installed Skype using the Deb (Debian) package, or through a repository or PPA or Ubuntu Software Center, then you can use Software Center to remove it too.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Bernice View Post

On the menu bar on the top, click on these: System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager

Synaptic Package Manager will open up; look for the box that's labeled "Quick Search" & type the name of the program you want to uninstall.

Click the checkbox beside the name of the program you want to uninstall, and select "Mark for Complete Removal".
    Synaptic is not, as far as I know, installed by default on any version past about 10.10 or so. It can be installed via the Software center, but the instructions above apply in principle to the Software center as well, even if the steps are not precisely the same.

If you know the name of the package for sure and exactly, and it was installed via the package management somehow, i.e. from a .deb or a repository, you could also use the command

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge <package_name>
    However if you don't know the package name exactly, that will just give you errors.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Bernice View Post

Ubuntu hasn't used Gnome 2.x for well over two years; your advice is seriously out-of-date.

Beans

I looked up the downloads for skype on linux and there are no downloads for ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. there are ubuntu 12.04 32 bit and multiarch. I tried multiarch and everything downloaded fine but the program refused to open when I tried to open it. It just blinked a few times then did nothing. Thank y'all for the installing/unistalling help I got it figured out now.

Beans

I'd stay away from Skype until it's stable. It really messed me up and I was running Pangolin. I had to un install Ubuntu then reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by testosteroar View Post
    I have ubuntu 12.10 and I dont know how to find the stuff I download so I can uninstall them. Example: I tried installing skype for ubuntu which didnt work. Also if anyone knows hoe to get skype working for 12.10 I would love to know thank you.
    Skype for Linux

Try Ubuntu 12.04. This package will run through the Ubuntu Software Center.

There are a few ways to remove programs. One is synaptic, which you can get with: sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Once in synaptic, you can search for your program, right click and select completely remove, and apply it. You'll be taken through a few dialogs which you can just click 'ok' on. Make sure nothing fishy is going on, like the removal of "unity".

The other way is more hands on but more convenient. Let's use skype as an example:

ctrl, alt + t on your keyboard to enter terminal. In here, type: sudo apt-get remove/purge

You can use either one of these. Purge will remove all package files (i.e. any installers), configuration files. Remove will simply uninstall, but keep packages and any config files.

Similarly, you can use: sudo apt-get install program here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by androideka31 View Post
    I'd stay away from Skype until it's stable. It really messed me up and I was running Pangolin. I had to un install Ubuntu then reinstall.
    I'd call it stable. I've had it installed on several machines for a couple of years at least and it gives me no trouble at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I'd call it stable. I've had it installed on several machines for a couple of years at least and it gives me no trouble at all.
    Same for me, very stable on ubuntu 12.10 so far