Thread: java compilation

Beans

Question java compilation

hey friends,
    I am new to java,
    can anyone help me with that,
    i know how to write java programs, in windows JDk,
    but not in Ubuntu,
    can someone please tell me the whole procedure, from writing to compiling to running the program?
    thnx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: java compilation

You are unlikely to encounter much differences between Windows and Linux if you use the language right.

Java is supposed to be totally portable, but the truth is that is not quite totally portable. There are difference between Java programming in Linux and Windows. At least four differences cross my mind:
    • Different path separator, ; on DOS and Windows, : on Linux Unix and Mac.
    • Different line end, 0xd 0xa (\r\n) on DOS and Windows, 0xa (\n) on Linux, not sure on Mac.
    • Different file separator \ on DOS and Windows, / on Mac Unix and Linux
    • Different end-of-file, something with ctrl-Z on DOS and Windows, something with ctrl-D on Mac Unix and Linux.
    Last edited by slickymaster; March 1st, 2013 at 12:09 PM.

Beans

i mean to ask that, what do i need to install in Ubuntu so as to run my java program, and also how to compile them and run them..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Before installing Java, check first your operating system architecture to see if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. To do this open up a terminal and enter the following command:
    Code:
    file /sbin/init
    The bit version of your operating system architecture will display whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit.
    Then, download the Oracle Java JDK for Linux. Make sure you select the correct compressed binaries for your system architecture 32-bit or 64-bit (which end in tar.gz). You mustn't forget that 64-bit Java binaries do not work on 32-bit Linux operating systems, you will receive multiple system error messages, if you attempt to install 64-bit Java on 32-bit Ubuntu.
    Copy the Java binaries into the /usr/local/java directory. In most cases, they are downloaded to: /home/"your_user_name"/Downloads.
    Then, to install them, and assuming you're running on a 32-bit platform, run the following commands, one at a time:
    Code:
    cd /home/"your_user_name"/Downloads
    sudo -s cp -r jdk-7u15-linux-i586.tar.gz /usr/local/java
    cd /usr/local/java
    After that, run the following command on the downloaded Oracle Java tar.gz files:
    Code:
    sudo -s chmod a+x jdk-7u15-linux-i586.tar.gz
    Unpack the compressed binaries, in the directory /usr/local/java
    Code:
    sudo -s tar xvzf jdk-7u15-linux-i586.tar.gz
    Edit your system path file /etc/profile and add the following system variables to your system path. Use geany, nano, gedit or any other text editor as root, to open up /etc/profile.
    Code:
    gksudo geany /etc/profile
    Once the file is open, scroll down to the end of it and add the following lines to the end of your /etc/profile file:
    Code:
    JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk1.7.0_15
    PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/bin
    export JAVA_HOME
    export PATH
    Save the /etc/profile file and exit.
    Now, you'll have to let your system know where your Java JDK/JRE is located:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/usr/local/java/jdk1.7.0_15/bin/java" 1
    sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javac" "javac" "/usr/local/java/jdk1.7.0_15/bin/javac" 1
    sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javaws" "javaws" "/usr/local/java/jdk1.7.0_15/bin/javaws" 1
    Define your system's default Java:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --set java /usr/local/java/jdk1.7.0_15/bin/java
    sudo update-alternatives --set javac /usr/local/java/jdk1.7.0_15/bin/javac
    sudo update-alternatives --set javaws /usr/local/java/jdk1.7.0_15/bin/javaws
    Finally, reload your system wide path /etc/profile by typing the following command:
    Code:
    . /etc/profile
    Note that just after the reboot of your system /etc/profile will reload.

You compile and run your java programs at a terminal window, just like you would at a command-prompt window in Windows. The commands are exactly the same.

Beans

Or just use OpenJDK that's what I use.

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk

Beans

and compile with javac <file>
    and run with java <file>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    You are unlikely to encounter much differences between Windows and Linux if you use the language right.

Java is supposed to be totally portable, but the truth is that is not quite totally portable. There are difference between Java programming in Linux and Windows. At least four differences cross my mind:
    • Different path separator, ; on DOS and Windows, : on Linux Unix and Mac.
    • Different line end, 0xd 0xa (\r\n) on DOS and Windows, 0xa (\n) on Linux, not sure on Mac.
    • Different file separator \ on DOS and Windows, / on Mac Unix and Linux
    • Different end-of-file, something with ctrl-Z on DOS and Windows, something with ctrl-D on Mac Unix and Linux.
    It is quite portable regarding the above as well, if one uses the appropriate system calls, such as System.lineSeparator(), File.pathSeparator and so on. You shouldn't need to worry about such things as those above.
    Last edited by veroslav; March 5th, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Intel Core i7 860 2,8 GHz - 8 GB DDR3 - 1,5 TB SATA 3G - nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1,8 GB - Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin