Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Beans

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

And i doubt you would use Ubuntu tablet/phone without Conky or to find better replacement for it in next few years?

We will see but i hope Ubuntu will still fight hard for desktop market share for years to come and yes for sure do the same in mobile too. For the desktop part i think trusted developers need to get something like PPA support inside USC for FOSS and other software and maybe add bug report in it too for faster user and upstream contact/update delivery and in time try to do (help to achieve this) something like that for Debian if they want too do it like this because Debian is Ubuntus upstream when it comes to FOSS.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 4th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

I really like idea of rolling release model, but at the same time I'm afraid of it. Because Ubuntu can hurt itself badly, if it will be buggy. Resolving bugs with rolling release will have to be quicker. Whole development cycle - testing, reporting, fixing - much quicker. Honestly, I'm not satisfied today. I know it is hard and Ubuntu has lots of components from other projects which makes it even more difficult. But there is no excuse, Cannonical wants better market share, this is the price.

I have feeling that this will be complicated because of development of mobile platform simultaneously. I think Ubuntu desktop will suffer from mobile development and Ubuntu for mobile phones and tablets will have much higher level of quality. And has to, because of entering new market and want to become successful part. I will consider buying smartphone with Ubuntu when released.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Many of the devs on the mailing list seemed to think that a rolling release would be better in terms of fixing bugs, because there won't be deadlines, as in the 6 month release cycle, where bug repairs stop shortly before the release date, and many aren't looked at again, even in the next development cycle. This seems to me to be a good thing, as we may finally get some long standing bugs fixed, without the deadline rearing it's ugly head.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    All of the usage polls we see, are fairly useless, as only people that are interested in what is being polled even bother to vote. My feeling is that if there are 20 million Ubuntu users, that we will never even see a small percentage of them, as we really only see computer enthusiasts, accessing the many Ubuntu news sites and even the forum.

I seems to me that it's taking for what seems to me forever to see our 2 millionth member.

I live in one of the largest metorpolitan areas in North America. Within a 500 mile radius it includes a lot of space including Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Cleavland, Buffalo .. on and on. When I mention Ubuntu at the local hack shops I usually get this strange look as if I am an alien and then the discussion usually breaks down to SAMBA and ubuntu servers. When I mention 'Unity Desktop' I most always get... "Uh"? We had this debate a few releases back .. about Mark's goal for 200million users. Mabey with the push for phones and slate OSes it may come to frutition but I haven't seen or hear anybody using an Ubuntu release on their phones or slates in these parts. Mabey it's mostly a UK phenom.

You know .. when I am trying to explain Ubuntu to people they look at me with their mouths open.. "Whats Ubuntu"? they say. And I reply .." you know .. that guy Mark Shuttleworth" who took a trip to the space station on a Soviet Rocket" .. their jaws drop lower ... and I continue .."that Linux system named after all those animals" .. jaw drops further .. then a moment of silence .. then .. "Oh .. well we work with Windows here ..."

The few converts I do have, I earned. Mind you I have had to babysit them at first, nurture them and so on .. but once they convereted there was no turning back. Ubuntu is not really that hard of a sell .. it's just that the market is asleep and Windows is so engrained in our psyche's . Also end_users are very pernickity and when Startup Disk Creator fails or older graphics cards get obsoleted then most often they will anonomously convert to Mint or the likes.

The younger set just look at the releases as a sort of game. 60 days (or less) of Precise Pangolin and they are bored. They want new stuff to bust and hack. it is a real challenge to keep Ubuntu on the cutting edge. My 2 cents

edit:

I wrote this before somewhere I think..
    Last edited by ventrical; March 4th, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: echo

Beans

Many of the devs on the mailing list seemed to think that a rolling release would be better in terms of fixing bugs, because there won't be deadlines, as in the 6 month release cycle, where bug repairs stop shortly before the release date, and many aren't looked at again, even in the next development cycle. This seems to me to be a good thing, as we may finally get some long standing bugs fixed, without the deadline rearing it's ugly head.
    Probably it's good to have some beginning/end in terms of plans and each cycle represent that and this does push developers to rush things for sure but at least something does get done. If you loosen up this cycle where does it start end where does it end or does it become endless peruse of bug hunting? That could easily become daunting task and experiencing this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121960

The game of (endless) bug hunting is taken to the next level. For me at least i know in Ubuntu 12.04 i have good bluetooth support in Ubuntu 12.10 half good and in Ubuntu 13.04 no bluetooh support ATM! Would rolling release represent model where i would report bugs about bluetooth not working correctly (once) and they would get fixed and it would stay fixed for next few years then i am in but if it would represent model where i would have working bluetooth depending of what updates come in that day then i think i would much rather see a model where this low level stuff and UX don't change often but apps come in USC as they are made.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Couldn't agree more, cariboo907...13.04 has been pretty bug free and updates have mostly been extremely smooth...so i'd say quality control for updates is quite good and should get even better when they aren't under the "6 month development timetable gun"...and, as you said, a better chance of long standing bugs (as well as recent ones) getting fixed instead of forgotten about as they move on to the next version...because there won't be a next version to go on to (as far as rolling is concerned)

Beans
    Distro

So, what is the current status for 13.04? Not having 13.04 release in April?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    So, what is the current status for 13.04? Not having 13.04 release in April?
    Kind of ironic, yes?

RR may go from "Raring Ringtail" to "Rolling Release".
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Kind of ironic, yes?

RR may go from "Raring Ringtail" to "Rolling Release".
    hehe, 13.04 13.05 13.06 ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ubuntu could use idea of this man in numbering versions:

1π
    Last edited by zika; March 4th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast