Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Interesting to see how "Ubuntu/Unity" will do competing head on with Android and Microsoft.
    That's the bottom line, isn't it? A business decision...

Nothing wrong with that, IMO. No reason to continue wasting resources on desktop boxes, when the client base doesn't want/need change.

Linux is the mistress that we left Winders for. We made our bed, so to speak.

We can sleep with the old maid, or move into the fast lane, with the sexy, fast, new tablets and smart phones.

That's where all the devs are headed...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

I don't think desktop is something Ubuntu should left behind. There is much to gain on desktop still for products like Ubuntu and it would be insane to let this go just now when the opportunity knocks.

About mobile space yes for sure compete there is nothing wrong with that.

Beans

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

OEMs that support hardware in upstream Linux they would probably be quite happy with rolling release but other OEMs with proprietary drivers will probably only brake rolling release from time to time on desktop and on mobile or if Android low level stuff will be used for mobile then there really isn't much to do except to follow what Google does and use that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I don't think desktop is something Ubuntu should left behind.[...]
    I don't have a crystal ball, but...

The way I'm seeing it is, development in the future will take place on mobile devices first, then spread to the desktop via rolling releases, et cetera.

Mobile users outnumber desktop users, by several orders of magnitude. They're holding all the cards now (and they love change).

The push to make desktop UIs look like mobile devices is pretty much complete. All they need to do now is patch it up a little, fill in a few holes, then add new features as the become standardized in the mobile arena.

It's anybody's guess, at this point...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Seeing as UDS is online this time, I don't think there will be any live streams. I'll have to check with Jorge, if there will be logs available for the sessions.
    Each UDS session will be on a Google Plus hangout, so people can join in on the sessions if they want. Each of the sessions will also be recorded and put on YouTube. So it won't be like in the past where only some sessions got recorded, every single session is now recorded and anyone from the internet can just join into the session if they want.

The sessions are being scheduled now on http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-1303/

EDIT: It might be a good idea to toss the rolling release sessions in a thread on Monday so it's obvious to people where the discussion is going to be if they want to join in.
    Last edited by castrojo; March 3rd, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Beans

The way I'm seeing it is, development in the future will take place on mobile devices first, then spread to the desktop via rolling releases, et cetera.
    Yes maybe 10+ year from now but then there will be no more desktop to spread to but only mobile devices (and optional big display) if this really happens.

Mobile users outnumber desktop users, by several orders of magnitude. They're holding all the cards now (and they love change).
    I don't think i agree. Mobile users that actually do something useful on their SMART mobile device like browsing the web are still very low in measurable statistics and mobile devices still have to change this significantly to compete with todays desktop.

But for sure the future is bright for mobile and statistic will improve and Ubuntu should compete in this space. But there i a lot to gain in desktop space in next 10 years for Ubuntu. Statistically Ubuntu is still very small player on desktop but i do see opportunity knocking to improve this in next 10 years significantly.

The push to make desktop UIs look like mobile devices is pretty much complete. All they need to do now is patch it up a little, fill in a few holes, then add new features as the become standardized in the mobile arena.
    I don't agree completely. I agree Ubuntu has some nice UX concepts for mobile and this year i will probably buy Android tablet and put Ubuntu OS on it but i am not wiling to use this UX on my desktop/laptop and if it happens i will probably use Xfce or KDE. And i don't see apps that could replace my desktop apps but i do see potetnial for great mobile apps. For example ATM Ubuntu 13.10 (Nautilus) does not do desktop and i tried Elementary OS where the story is the same and both fall short compared to what is expected by user.

It's anybody's guess, at this point...
    It's not that hard i guess to guess if Ubuntu should or shouldn't compete hard in desktop and mobile segments. Of course it should both segments and potential to grow in them is huge. Compete hard in both!

Beans

Things like supporting new hardware on older kernels is something Ubuntu will not solve by itself. This is something kernel folk will need to solve/improve and AFAIK some work on this is being done and this would allow to improve OEM situation.

Things like attracting developers and offering latest Apps to the users is something Ubuntu will have to solve and i think Debian should be helped to the extend possible and not to have to big (FOSS) delta between Debian and Ubuntu and to extend USC with concepts how to get there with ease with your latest FOSS/proprietary apps like whitelisting some PPAs for example to be available in USC and maintained by upstreams or Ubuntu community/staff itself.

Average users (in polls) actually don't care too much LTS vs. rolling they see rolling as something that will give them latest apps and that is it and to be honest to find an app in USC and seeing Canonical does not maintain it and the author on his website recommends using PPA...

But in the end Canonical truly does have some additional input: users voted, Canonical knows what would change if Unity would be developed for LTS vs. rolling release (other devs are experiencing the same things) and OEMs well ask them what they want. I guess OEMs with support in upstream Linux have less issues with rolling releases than others but that doesn't necessary mean they are against anything not being LTS.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 3rd, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All of the usage polls we see, are fairly useless, as only people that are interested in what is being polled even bother to vote. My feeling is that if there are 20 million Ubuntu users, that we will never even see a small percentage of them, as we really only see computer enthusiasts, accessing the many Ubuntu news sites and even the forum.

I seems to me that it's taking for what seems to me forever to see our 2 millionth member.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    It's not that hard i guess to guess if Ubuntu should or shouldn't compete hard in desktop and mobile segments. Of course it should both segments and potential to grow in them is huge. Compete hard in both!
    Slides #24 (see link) & #25 (below) say the whole thing...

SOURCE: http://www.slideshare.net/kleinerper...earend-update#

Beans

That graph does not contradict to anything i said.

Look at some statistic on the web about for example web usage. Smart phones and tablets are far behind in statistic and i guess today smart phones or tablet are used mostly for browsing the web on the go and multimedia? Classic desktop is still the king of productivity and for now web access too. Graph says desktop market will not shrink significantly and if that is true then Ubuntu still has much to gain in desktop market as i said earlier!

And to quote myself:

About the apps i think first phase will be making apps like GIMP run on Ubuntu tablet and not the other way around. This is what i am looking forward to for the next year or two. Spreading desktop apps on mobile devices and opening GIMP on tablet (or phone) and using HUD for good touch experience and more.

New mobile apps that will target Ubuntu (mobile) will probably be more simple apps in the beginning and there is nothing wrong with that but it will take time (years) for them to replace apps we use now on the desktop.

Success in mobile segment would bring fun to Ubuntu users and additional ways to found the project and that is all for now. This goal should be pursued to the greatest extend possible and i do believe the same must apply for desktop for at least next few years because there still is lot to be achieved here too.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 4th, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast