Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Beans

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

Ubuntu Edge could undermine interm releases and if that happens we would be close to original proposal. I still think Ubuntu Edge will be harder to support because it will be a moving target.

Harder for independent developers if they get a chance to have latest version of their software in USC, harder for OEMs selling/supporting Ubuntu hardware and harder for 3rd party software makers i f they would have to worry on daily bases how compatible they are with Ubuntu Edge. Becouse what else could they do if majority of users would use Ubuntu Edge they could not say we don't support Ubuntu Edge.

Beans

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

I would:

-Strengthen support for LTS releases as it is suggested.
    -Provide additional ways on how to support your latest app in USC but i would not do it over night but gradually give the options and see how it goes and involved Debian to somehow remain FOSS usptream for Ubuntu and let's face it to attract new developers you have to give them more direct access to the users within USC.

It's probably fair interm releases support time is lowered if supporting many releases at once is too big burden but i would add additional month (8) for at least security updates.

Ubuntu Edge is probably something we are not ready for yet to happen. After Mir, Unity Next and successful introduction of model allowing latest apps in USC then i would discuss this further if it makes sense to introduce rolling release model or not!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Basically the proposals come down to this...sounds like they figured this out quite well...personally, i would go with the rolling release model, now that i see how reliable they have gotten the updates for it...
    In the past, i ran Linux Mint's LMDE which runs off debian testing and had to end up re-installing twice because of serious "borks"...13.04 has been soooo much more reliable then my experience with that...

Basically, the mentioned proposals would structure Ubuntu as:

• Ubuntu LTS
    • Ubuntu Interim releases (between LTSes, supported 7 months)
    • rolling-release model for the Ubuntu development release (keeping a singular name, thus users are able to continuously use the development version without a traditional upgrade process)
    Last edited by craig10x; March 13th, 2013 at 07:19 AM.

Beans

Basically the proposals come down to this...sounds like they figured this out quite well...personally, i would go with the rolling release model, now that i see how reliable they have gotten the updates for it...
    "Ubuntu Core" for sure would allow something like this but for example i never use closed source AMD or Nvidia drivers on dev relese (just for testing sometimes) and for example i have issues like bluetooth (partially) not working in stable releases in current dev it doesn't work at all ATM with my phone. I can't imagine what would happen if let's say 30% of Ubuntu users would start using Ubuntu Edge would this make 3rd party devs and OEMs job harder? It's not just the question of "Ubuntu Core" going rolling for that it can be done in my opinion. If Ubuntu Edge would be used by up to 5% Ubuntu users in next few years then i am fine with it do it.

But if Ubuntu Edge would undermine interim relese by big margin then i do believe this would made 3rd party devs and OEMs frustrated. And users too not being able to use some apps for example that do work on Ubuntu or i just can't imagine how users will deal with breakage that will for sure happen with rolling.

Beans

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/ubunt...d-meeting.html

Looks like interim releases did get 2 additional moth of support and i think that is OK. "Testers" will get "Ubuntu Edge" and i am fine with it but is still hope this will not undermine interim releases for foreseeable future!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 19th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/ubunt...d-meeting.html

Looks like interim releases did get 2 additional moth of support and i think that is OK. "Testers" will get "Ubuntu Edge" and i am fine with it but is still hope this will not undermine interim releases for foreseeable future!
    So, then i guess (after reading the linked article) that means that starting with 13.04 development, we can just roll right into the next release without upgrading, which is what Mark Shuttleworth had given as his alternate proposal? Am i reading that correctly?

That is what it sounds like...and although they won't actually call it a "rolling release" essentially that is what development will be (starting with the current 13.04 we are using) and you won't need to upgrade to the next testing version...

Oh, also another question (for those of you that installed 13.04 during it's early development)...Did you find the updates at that stage to be just as reliable as the updates have been over the last month or so? The reason i am asking is because i installed 13.04 about 5 weeks ago and except for a brief breakage in the sound on VLC media player (which was fixed quickly in the updates) i can't say i had one bad update, despite all the changes going on...

Lastly, what's this sim file that is referred to in the comments? Is that how one accesses the new ubuntu version in development? How does that work? Do you have to install such a file or would it be added to the software sources?
    Last edited by craig10x; March 20th, 2013 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    So, then i guess (after reading the linked article) that means that starting with 13.04 development, we can just roll right into the next release without upgrading, which is what Mark Shuttleworth had given as his alternate proposal? Am i reading that correctly?

That is what it sounds like...and although they won't actually call it a "rolling release" essentially that is what development will be (starting with the current 13.04 we are using) and you won't need to upgrade to the next testing version...
    That would make sense, although I'd prefer to ditch all mention of .10 releases altogether.
    It would remove any confusion in the minds of newbies as to what they're installing. To me, if it's a rolling release, call it that. If the rolling release starts at 13.04, and it constantly updates to the next LTS, fine. Just don't add another layer of confusion by giving the mid-term cycle a new name.

So you'd have a clear demarcation between releases:

12.04, 14.04, 16.04, etc... LTS versions
    13.04, 15.04, 17.04, etc... Standard rolling versions.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans

Interim releases are not rolling releases it's stays the same as it is now but support is shortened form 18 to 9 month. I sincerely hope "Ubuntu Edge" (this one is new) and i don't know how it will be called and intended for testers won't be recommended to regular users!

But i do see a possibility this will happen anyway (users will use it because newer apps will be there for example if nothing gets done and newer apps won't get the chance to get in LTS USC for example) and instead of having value in products like LTS releases with solid foundation and longer support cycle we will get something that is moving target but this is not web browser where it is quite easy to pull the stunt like that it's OS intended for variety of form factors + complete ecosystem that runs on it and should be moving along with it with this fast pace? This won't work it just can't.

P.S. Focus on solid stable releases and for the ones (developers) that want to go faster enable them the way to get in USC and do just that!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 20th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    Interim releases are not rolling releases it's stays the same as it is now but support is shortened form 18 to 9 month. I sincerely hope "Ubuntu Edge" (this one is new) and i don't know how it will be called and intended for testers won't be recommended to regular users!
    The interim releases (and LTS releases) would be the ones that beginners would see on ubuntu.com as they won't be rolling....
    It's development branch that will be "rolling" (although they won't call it that)...and if your on development (and ONLY on development) you will be able to go into each next development release without upgrading....

Based on what one of the ubuntu developers mentioned, this would likely be accomplished using a "symlink" which would always point to the newest version in development...
    that is the "ubuntu edge" you are taking about, i believe...

They have to still work out the details for it, but they are saying that it starts with 13.04 development....

Beans

Honestly i don't see the need for "Ubuntu Edge" because it will add burden not take it away? What will be the difference between "Ubuntu Edge" and development version of RR for example?

I think this "Ubuntu Edge" concept is more likely an attempt to please everybody but there are only 2 possible outcomes i can think of ATM.

1.) It becomes a burden because interim releases will still be the focus/product.
    2.) It becomes usable enough 20% or more Ubuntu users start using it but i don't believe everybody will be willing to support moving target.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast