Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

You gave me some encouragement there....maybe there is a chance, then
    I think i read one recent article where Mark commented on it and said that though he didn't think it might be the best way to go, he would keep an "open mind"....hmmm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

The way the current methods of distribution work is pretty well rock solid from a testers point of veiw. Really .. in this case, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Build on it. It keeps everybody involved. Those transitioning, noobs and ubuntu veterans. Changing the framework now would equal a lot of downtime and really rub people the wrong way.

Beans

The debate is not over and it looks like some changes will be made to the dev cycle:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1246

I think approaching usptreams with something like having PPA in USC is great idea but for beginning i would use statistics on most used software and try few! I think Debian needs to be involved in this somehow otherwise Ubuntu will drain it if this model will be successful on larger scale. About strengthening support for LTS releases i think this is always great idea and to somehow achieve users to stay on LTS because they have less interest to upgrade to interim release! Interim releases and less support i don't know about that and will let others to decide. I personally always upgrade my interim releases before next one is out and 7 month supports does allow to skip one if some radical changes are introduced in one interm release and for sure approaching usptreams to support "dev interm" release with PPAs is great because currently in RR half PPAs i use are not available and will be available one or two months after the release! And for those who want to live on the edge sure why not.

It does make sense it's not radical but small steps everywhere in the right direction for sure!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 12th, 2013 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

and 7 month supports does allow to skip one if some radical changes are introduced in one interm release
    I was too quick here this would be true if next interm release would change things drastically in one moths time and to upgrade to "dev interm". For being able to skip one release that would for example introduce Mir + Qt Unity... additional 6 month of support would be needed (7 + 6). I don't know this basically gives everybody 1 month to upgrade when new interm release is out. I guess this could strengthen LTS position for average users because it doesn't make sense anymore to install interm releases for less technical users but for the users doing upgrades twice a year i guess additional month (8 months) could prove useful indeed and not to rush too much.

Beans

It does make sense it's not radical but small steps everywhere in the right direction for sure!
    I was too quick here too.

Separating platform from apps would enhance agility.
    This is big deal but this one has to be done right and it has immense potential if done right (and in small steps).

Beans
    Distro

Interesting reading, EgoGratis....sounds like as far as Rolling Release he acknowledges the reliability of the updates on the testing versions at this time...seems like he would want Rolling to continue as the testing branch (rather then a mainstream release) and make it so that you wouldn't have to upgrade into the next release (from say 13.04 to 13.10) but rather would just keep rolling with updates with whatever would be going into the next release (in my example: 13.10)....

So, in effect, there would be an actual Rolling Release, just not a mainstream one...mainstream would continue as the actual 6 month Interim Releases (with shorter support periods) and of course the LTS releases as always...

Doesn't sound like a bad plan and should be fairly easy to implement, i would think...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 12th, 2013 at 06:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    The debate is not over and it looks like some changes will be made to the dev cycle:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1246

I think approaching usptreams with something like having PPA in USC is great idea but for beginning i would use statistics on most used software and try few! I think Debian needs to be involved in this somehow otherwise Ubuntu will drain it if this model will be successful on larger scale. About strengthening support for LTS releases i think this is always great idea and to somehow achieve users to stay on LTS because they have less interest to upgrade to interim release! Interim releases and less support i don't know about that and will let others to decide. I personally always upgrade my interim releases before next one is out and 7 month supports does allow to skip one if some radical changes are introduced in one interm release and for sure approaching usptreams to support "dev interm" release with PPAs is great because currently in RR half PPAs i use are not available and will be available one or two months after the release! And for those who want to live on the edge sure why not.

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

"There’s widespread support for the statement that ‘developers can and should use the daily development release’. The processes that have been put in place make it much more reliable for folks who want to track development, either as a contributor to Ubuntu or as someone who ships software for Ubuntu and wants to know what’s happening on the latest release, to use Ubuntu throughout the development cycle. For those of you not aware, uploads to the edge get published in a special ‘pocket’, and only moved into the edge if they don’t generate any alarms from people who are on the VERY BLEEDING EDGE. So you can use Raring (without that bleeding edge pocket) and get daily updates that are almost certain not to bork you. There is a real community that WANTS a rolling release, and the daily development release of Ubuntu satisfies this need already."

Thanks for that link. This is real meat and potatos for U+1 and a <small> sigh of relief

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Interesting times ahead as mentioned in the above posts. Here's a synopsis.

http://www.iloveubuntu.net/mark-shut...elease-process

Beans
    Distro

Yep...and the rolling release (which would continue to be development release not mainstream one) would roll exactly as i described above...it's very clear from his description...
    there would be no upgrading to do in development...you'd just roll right into each next version...

The plan outlined (for main 6 month release, LTS and Development) sounds like the best solution and the easiest to implement i would think...thanks for that link phillinux...

So those who want the regular 6 month versions (with shorter 7 month support) grab that...

Those who want LTS grab that every 2 years...

And those who want Rolling Release grab the development release (which will no longer have a number and name assigned to it)...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 12th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that someone is addicted to the power that comes with having the sole authority to invent a Ubuntu Release code name. Having some kind of 'interim' release does provide publicity. They say that even bad publicity is good publicity. Without Ubuntu a lot of people would have nothing to talk about.

the daily development release of Ubuntu satisfies this need already.
    That us, folks! We are already running a rolling release of a sorts.

We would ask the TB to evaluate whether it’s worth changing our archive naming and management conventions so that one release, say ‘raring’, stays the tip release so that there is no need to ‘upgrade’ when releases are actually published.
    Do this and we will not need to change the repository names every six months. No waitnng for the tool change to be uploaded. No more: "What do I do for the next two weeks until development restarts."

Keeping in mind the question in this thread's title can we now accept and agree that

a) Ubuntu+1 includes testing of existing releases? These LTS point releases will need to be tested. As in the case of when we were officially invited by QA to test the Quantal kernel on 12.04 user space and the thread was deemed out of keeping with Ubuntu+1.

b) Can we also agree that Ubuntu+1 (or Ubuntu+Testing, or whatever someone chooses - I do not mind) is for sharing testing experiences and is not the place for sharing opinions on the path chosen for Ubuntu? We have the Community Cafe for that.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 12th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast