Thread: Triangulate wifi | What software or devices do I need to use?

Hybrid View

Beans

Triangulate wifi | What software or devices do I need to use?

Does anyone here have any experience with traingulating wifi signals? What kind of software and hardware do I need? I want something that will show something to the effect of "you are here", "wifi is here". I know I can find wifi singal strength and signals. I want to be able to see what direction they are and how far away.

Will I have to have two wireless devices and use them as a doppler or can this be accomplished with a single device.

Beans

Re: Triangulate wifi | What software or devices do I need to use?

Hi, I don't think I have the exact answer to what you want, but something similar. I installed DD-WRT firmware on my router recently (it's a great open-source firmware that's much better than the stock by the way with extra options, etc...) and It is something called Wiviz (I'm not sure of the exact name). Anyway this utility shows you a 3D map of all networks around you (and clients too) in a grid. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where the networks are and the utility isn't so great but it'll give you an idea. I don't know about its accuracy though.

EDIT: it's called Wiviz, you might want to see if you can find it to install it on a PC...
    Last edited by bellaseem; March 1st, 2013 at 05:55 PM.

Beans

Thanks bellaseem. I'm checking it out right now.

Beans

kismet and a gps. Then feed the coordinates in either long/lat or UTM into Google Earth. Though Kismet does support options for google mapping and others, but i prefer Google Earth
    Last edited by haqking; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013