Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could i run Ubuntu on this?

Beans

Could i run Ubuntu on this?

I'm thinking of buying a this laptop and im wondering if i could run Ubuntu on it.
    Heres the details:

Item number 330898197976
    Product Line ThinkPad
    Graphics Processing Type Integrated/On-Board Graphics
    Operating System Windows 7 (It says seven but in the picture it has XP)
    Memory 2 GB
    Screen Size 14.1"
    Hard Drive Capacity 150 GB
    Processor Type Intel Pentium (R) M
    Operating System Edition Ultimate
    Processor Speed 2.00 GHz

Also does anyone own this laptop? Whats the thing at the back in the pic? Will this thing run games?

Thanks!
    Last edited by tahdas; April 2nd, 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Beans

Re: Could i run Ubuntu on this?

What is the model number? Here is a list of Ubuntu-certified Thinkpads: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...ategory=Laptop

I personally wouldn't buy a Pentium M in 2013. It's a 10 year old chip (which is a really, really long time in CPU development) and Intel hasn't made them for 5+ years. Hardware from the early/mid 2000's often struggles with Ubuntu's default Unity desktop environment (perhaps better performance with Xubuntu or Lubuntu). Also, some of the earlier Pentium M's lack PAE, which would preclude Ubuntu.
    Last edited by snowpine; April 2nd, 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by tahdas View Post
    Will this thing run games?
    How long is a piece of string? It depends totally on the game.

It'll run games from a few years back, and nothing too demanding graphically. On board graphics on a machine that old won't be doing much 3D. You'd be able to rock DOSbox games for example, but you wouldn't be playing Crysis on it.

Beans

IBM THINKPAD T43. Idealy i want to be able to run TF2, but thats pushing my luck. I guess i only need it to run flash games, run netflix app, run writing program without pausing after each word, and play dvds.

Thanks,
    tahdas

Beans

T43 is not Ubuntu Certified according to the link I posted above. Unlikely you'll have good performance playing flash games or multimedia with such low-end hardware. It might be OK for word processing.

Beans

Darn it! Does anyone have any suggestion on what computer i could get for very cheap, but will run stuff well? I can go up to 50 dollars.

Oh and before criticize me for wanting to get an OK computer for $50, I'm fourteen and i can't get a job because of stupid laws.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-your-desktop/

No monitor,keyboard or mouse with these
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tahdas View Post
    Darn it! Does anyone have any suggestion on what computer i could get for very cheap, but will run stuff well? I can go up to 50 dollars. Oh and before criticize me for wanting to get an OK computer for $50, I'm fourteen and i can't get a job because of stupid laws. Thanks.
    I so understand, I'm 19 and I still don't have a job. XD

Beans

And a bunch of people wanted to hire me but the couldn't because of the law that won't let people under 18 use scissor or slicers or knives. Its really sad.

On the mini pc: I thought about buying one of these, but i don't really need another desktop, i already have 2 lower power ones and medium power one.

What i really need is a laptop, because my family is planning on taking this long roadtrip and i want a laptop i can do something with. I have a Cr 48 chromebook, but its dosent run faster that 10MPH.

Thanks,
    tahdas

Beans

I can't forsee you getting a laptop that will run better than a cr48 on $50. Based on experience and a quick ebay search, $50 will get you a ten-year-old laptop with at least one broken or missing component and no battery life. And you still have to pay shipping.

If you don't mind having to stay wired to an outlet, a machine like that can probably run a lo-spec linux distro and do word processing, simple web browsing, and old-school games at least.

or you could put lubuntu on that cr-48.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast