Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon HD 6850 Works No More

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Exclamation Radeon HD 6850 Works No More

SO I had a Radeon HD 6850 on my Lubuntu 12.10 machine running fine. I opened the case to rearrange components to make it look nicer. In doing so, I moved the graphics card from the first PCIe x16 slot to the third one. Now, Minecraft blackscreens, and I try to open the AMD Catalyst Control Center, but it gives me the message:

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No AMD graphics driver installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you [sic] hardware, or configure using aticonfig.

What do I do to fix?

I tried setting the BIOS to put VGA primary to PEG3 (whatever that means), so it's not trying to read the first slot as default. I need this fixed ASAP, because I'm hosting a LAN party next week!
    CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-Core Black Edition OC'd to 4.3GHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 WindForce | Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaw Series DDR3 1600 | Storage: 3TB total

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Radeon HD 6850 Works No More

So I figured out my BIOS settings, but things are much worse.

i reinstalled fglrx, using the latest driver from AMD's website. Now, I go to login, and no login dialog box appears.
    I tried out autologin, but now I just get a black screen.
    I even tried switching from lightdm to gdm, but that didn't work.

i really need this computer running immediately! I also need it for school tomorrow!
    Last edited by redbikemaster; March 1st, 2013 at 06:07 AM.
    CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-Core Black Edition OC'd to 4.3GHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 WindForce | Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaw Series DDR3 1600 | Storage: 3TB total

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Did you uninstall the older driver before installing the new one?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I did. I was very thorough, too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With some Gigabyte boards, you have to at least fill the first x16 slot for the others to work.

Did you try putting it back in the first one?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

No, I haven't. If I do, should I switch the bios setting back?

I tried installing lightdm-gtk-greeter per this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1807612

This is because my system displayed text saying 'Stopping System V runtime compatibility'. Now, I can't get to a CLI, the screen just flashes black on and off.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'd go back to where you were. Set the BIOS back and put the card in the first x16 slot.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I will when I can. I now have to write a three page paper for my English class by hand. I am really regretting 20 credit hours.

Thanks for the help, Qlll. (Are all of those L's or i's?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Capital "eyes".

Q followed by the Roman Numeral III

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Enlightened, I am, QIII (Q The Third).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast