Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I tried Debian Squeeze...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: So I tried Debian Squeeze...

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    It seems that you paid very close attention to your dance teacher's Linux experiences.
    He used that laptop in dance class to play music from so he could slow the music down while teaching a routine and gradually speed it up until we could all do it full speed. I thought it was all dark and sinister looking but it had a funny name - Crunchbang Linux.

That's when I learned that there are many different Linux OSes to choose from. He had "Robin's Remix" on the computer at the dance school, which was a really simple Windows-98-looking desktop. I learned from that, that you can make your own Linux OS just the way you want it.

All I did was ask. Robin loved to share his own journey with others, whether it was dance, or computer stuff, choral singing, or his love of his religion. He was passionate about everything he did, and it was just contagious. There are at least a dozen new Linux users from his dance class, and how many more from his church and college classmates he turned on to Linux. Every one of us shared his "adventures in Linux." You couldn't help it.

Beans

Are you talking about Robin Anderson aka DixieDancer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Not really a big risk. Debian Wheezy should be released any time now. Debian releases new versions roughly every 2 years and it's been about that since the last one. It's been in freeze for awhile and it's in bug squashing mode right now. Like I said the only hardware compatibility problems I've had have been due to Debian's strict adherence to free software. So they don't include stuff like non free drivers by default. Adding the word non-free in sources.list and running sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nameofnonfreedriver fixes that easily enough. Is it kind of unconvenient to plug my laptop into the router to download my wifi driver? Sure it is but I only have to do it once and it takes 5 minutes longer than it would in Ubuntu. It's a lot less annoying though than fixing something in Ubuntu because it was shipped before it was ready though.
    Roughly every 2 years. My point was only that they release when ready and not before. There are still more than 100 bugs to fix before it can go live.

I know how to get the multimedia repository but had no joy with Squeeze on one laptop for the headphones. It's all fixable stuff but after a while I figured the time investment wasn't worth it, so I just installed Wheezy. It's a laptop I use as a radio/stereo so the headphones working is important.

Honestly, I would only run Squeeze now a) for a server b) out of respect for the Debian project as 6 a.k.a. Squeeze is still the most recent official Debian release.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Are you talking about Robin Anderson aka DixieDancer?
    Yeah; and I guess it's good to see that "Robin/DixieDancer" yet lives, through "Peripheral Visionary," in a way. Lots of interesting posts and insight here and at other Linux forums. Hm. Anyway, back on topic, for me at least...

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    There are still more than 100 bugs to fix before it can go live.
    Even so, I installed Wheezy back in September and it's been so problem-free that it's almost boring. On three different computers, actually.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Yeah; and I guess it's good to see that "Robin/DixieDancer" yet lives, through "Peripheral Visionary," in a way. Lots of interesting posts and insight here and at other Linux forums. Hm. Anyway, back on topic, for me at least...

Even so, I installed Wheezy back in September and it's been so problem-free that it's almost boring. On three different computers, actually.
    That's because Debian sets a high standard for itself. Wheezy is totally useable but it's still not "ready" according to its own standards. You don't get a "rock solid" reputation for nothing.

My point is that when Ubuntu issues a release, you expect it to be bug-free and are disappointed when it isn't because you've been led to expect a bug-free release by its pitch.

Debian doesn't do this. You can download and install the pre-release version - in fact it's essential to its development that people do this - and yes right now Wheezy is more or less stable and arguably more stable than Ubuntu 12.04. However, it's still not a release so any bugs noticed should be fed back into the project and not be seen as faults with the final product. I'd hate for people running a beta to become disillusioned with "buggy Debian".

Beans

Brand new hardware + 2 year old distro = problems no matter how good the distro was 2 years ago.

Just burn a bunch of Live USB's and find the distro that works the best for you. I bet if you'd tried Squeeze live, you could have quickly eliminated it as a possibility and saved yourself a lot of aggravation. If you are looking for a debian-based distro that "just works" then why not give Mint a try (13 is LTS) or (shocking!) Ubuntu?

I miss DixieDancer.

Beans

That's because Debian sets a high standard for itself. Wheezy is totally useable but it's still not "ready" according to its own standards. You don't get a "rock solid" reputation for nothing.
    +1 I would be quite comfortable to use Wheezy right now even though it's still not 'ready' according to debian standards. I downloaded Crunchbang Waldorf (Based on Wheezy) the other day and I think it's gonna go on my old laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    +1 I would be quite comfortable to use Wheezy right now even though it's still not 'ready' according to debian standards. I downloaded Crunchbang Waldorf (Based on Wheezy) the other day and I think it's gonna go on my old laptop.
    +1

I've been using #! Waldorf for about 6 months now on my old laptop and haven't had a single issue.

Crunchbang is always my go to distro for older hardware.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My point is that when Ubuntu issues a release, you expect it to be bug-free and are disappointed when it isn't because you've been led to expect a bug-free release by its pitch.
    I don't have that expectation of Ubuntu. With software in general, "bug-free" usually only means no bugs have been found yet, seems to me.

Beans

I wrote this a while back, it might be helpful here:
    Debian for Ubuntu people

I love Debian, but I see it as kind of a "proto-distribution": a base for other things. I think people make too much of its difficulties, though. Proprietary hardware? Add the non-free repo and install the firmware and drivers. Yes, it takes some reading, but it's not *hard*.

FWIW, though, I only use it on servers and older hardware.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast