Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the upgraded forum!

Beans

Re: Welcome to the upgraded forum!

My complaint: URLs in the code box appear shortened.

The link works upon clicking, but not for copying which is unfortunate, unproductive, and ironic given the "huge tracts of land" available in the message area. Then again, maybe it's this OS/browser (OS X 10.8.2 / Firefox 19). I'm stuck at a friend's place minding a fish smoker.

Edit: Nevermind. Seconds later after posting this I realized that I added [url][/url] tags to the link without paying attention. Duh.

I understand how much work can go into upgrading a forum. I ran a low-volume one, but with a good amount of customizations, from 2004-2012 (Facebook and mobile basically killed it), and even upgrading that was not a trivial task.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    One of the niggles, which no one has yet pointed out: on the first page, every forum name, apart from the last in each section, ends with a comma.
    Attachment 239563
    Yes, I, agree, that, those, superfluous, commas, should, go.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; March 1st, 2013 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    The link works upon clicking, but not for copying which is unfortunate, unproductive, and ironic given the "huge tracts of land" available in the message area.
    Many forums do this, because a link can be long enough to cover several lines. Just right-click the link and select Copy Link Location.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I'm stuck at a friend's place minding a fish smoker.
    Enjoy your smoked fish. Yum!
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I don't understand this issue. Yes there's no max-width for the forums, but there wasn't in the old forum either.
    Attachment 239565
    max-width as in content occupying the whole width? that's not the issue. The issue is the left side profile info is so tall that even oneliner post gets 1/3 of the screen estate. In other words a very wasteful management of available space. Yes, that was a problem with the old forums too, but my perception is the effect is even more pronounced (and even if it is not, migration is a good time to make a positive change). Waste = scrolling galore on anything that is not FullHD+ display, netbook and tablet users will hate it with a passion. Tidy looks shouldn't compromise ergonomics and usability to such a degree.

Some of the information should be moved to the top bar spanning whole width where currently only time and post # are located, some can be put next to each other so the profile is not 10 divs tall (each div with very little content).
    Similar thing should be done with the new mode (reordering profile info pieces that is), big gray rectangle with tiny bits of info hugging left and right borders with huge nothing in the middle is bad for business.
    Last edited by Vaphell; March 1st, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    max-width as in content occupying the whole width? that's not the issue. The issue is the left side profile info is so tall that even oneliner post gets 1/3 of the screen estate.
    Oh so it's not that the post is too wide, it's that the profile area is too tall. Understandable.

I'm sure we'll look into it, I remember it being tweaked a lot as it is, lot of variables to consider:
    length of profile name
    size of avatar (if one at all)
    join date, beans, locations, various social networks; all which may or may not be shown depending on user.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Firefox always scrolls down to the last post in a thread when I've switched the tab and come back.
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ah, I see New Posts now the Search facility is back on , but the link needs to be where it was.....

But the orange text ? Arrgh !!
    Last edited by Merrattic; March 2nd, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Oh so it's not that the post is too wide, it's that the profile area is too tall. Understandable.

I'm sure we'll look into it, I remember it being tweaked a lot as it is, lot of variables to consider:
    length of profile name
    if it was moved higher to that thin top bar and pushed time to the right it would have half of the screen width for itself.
    size of avatar (if one at all)
    isn't it normalized to some max size? i think i haven't seen anybody with a huge avatar, usually it takes approx 50% of the available width
    join date, beans, locations
    join date is rather fixed in size and can be put next to the avatar, locations probably too if <br>ed or ellipsised - if not, well...
    beans can sit next to the coffee icons, i assume these things are related, as in icon=f(beans)?

besides is all that fluff info worth scrolling 3x more than necessary 24/7/365? After all you can click the profile and look at personal info to your heart's content.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I prefer the previous version but will see if this grows on me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think it's safe to say "We ain't goin' back", but constructive criticism is welcome.
    I'm still trying to wrap my (antique) brain around the changes, too...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    max-width as in content occupying the whole width? that's not the issue. The issue is the left side profile info is so tall that even oneliner post gets 1/3 of the screen estate. In other words a very wasteful management of available space. Yes, that was a problem with the old forums too, but my perception is the effect is even more pronounced (and even if it is not, migration is a good time to make a positive change). Waste = scrolling galore on anything that is not FullHD+ display, netbook and tablet users will hate it with a passion. Tidy looks shouldn't compromise ergonomics and usability to such a degree.

Some of the information should be moved to the top bar spanning whole width where currently only time and post # are located, some can be put next to each other so the profile is not 10 divs tall (each div with very little content).
    Similar thing should be done with the new mode (reordering profile info pieces that is), big gray rectangle with tiny bits of info hugging left and right borders with huge nothing in the middle is bad for business.
    Excellent advice. Also the designers should try testing pages as others would use them, not just how it looks on their browser/device.

For example, millions of us have set our browsers to ignore fonts and colors. In this new forum format, when ignoring colors all text selections are invisible – makes it impossible to copy/paste/format anything.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast