Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu for Macbook Pro 4,1

Beans

Ubuntu for Macbook Pro 4,1

I have a Macbook 4,1 and I read on the installation guide that Ubuntu 10.10 was next to this version of MBP. So, should I go with 10.10 or would 12.04 LTS be just fine since it is a newer developed OS that would most likely have drivers from early 2008? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Ubuntu for Macbook Pro 4,1

Moving your thread to the Apple forum.

Go for 12.04 or 12.10, also for older hardware.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Moving your thread to the Apple forum.

Go for 12.04 or 12.10, also for older hardware.
    Alright thanks, didn't think there would be issue, just double checking.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Commandrkeen View Post
    Alright thanks, didn't think there would be issue, just double checking.
    You should have no problems with 12.4, which is what I'm running right now. I have a Macbook5,1 which has similar specs as yours. The only difference I can see is the graphics card, mine being a GeForce 9400M. I've had problems with the install of 12.10 not configuring the proper graphics and wifi drivers and have yet to find a solution for it yet.

Beans

Good luck with your install.

I had to install from the 12.04 livecd minimal cd option because I only had a 650mb CDRW lying around. USB flash drive never worked past the boot screen when loading the kernel. Worked fine with my 4,1 model except sound is still not working. NVidia drivers were under additional drivers in system settings. I was told to select the 310 option since it was the current version from Nvidia's website. In Ubuntu it still says beta but ignore that in the list and just install it.

Wifi was the broadcom driver under additional drivers in system settings. Works great. I just wish I could figure out sound now. I did plug in some headphones and could hear volume very very low. So it's not muted anywhere.

Beans

For anyone struggling with no sound on a Macbook Pro, here is a link that solved my sound issue!

http://miteshj-linux-tips.blogspot.p...cbook-pro.html

Beans

Alright, I have finally gotten time to sit down and install. Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Beans

Just to keep the 4,1 thread support going for future users here.

I installed 12.10 this past week and everything got detected and worked great. Nvidia video is the only thing that I had issues even after trying them (in Additional drivers) all I went back to the Xorg free driver. For color calibration I imported the icc profile files from my OS X partition and both monitors look way better. I have a dual monitor setup, a LED external monitor along with the LCD laptop screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for posting your experiences guys. I'm having a hell of a time installing Ubuntu 12.04 on my Macbook Pro 4,1 and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the video (nvidia) not loading properly. It just freezes while booting, and no combination of 'nomodeset', downloading nvidia drivers and swearing while hitting it have gotten it running properly. I started a thread here but I like the idea of having an MBP 4,1 thread as a catch-all so I wanted to post here too.

I'm going to try booting from the 13.04 +mac iso from here so we'll see. I'll post if anything works for me -_-
    Using Linux instead of OSX is like driving a manual car instead of an automatic. It requires more knowledge of your hardware, but gives you more control and performance when used well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by v1nsai View Post
    Thanks for posting your experiences guys. I'm having a hell of a time installing Ubuntu 12.04 on my Macbook Pro 4,1 and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the video (nvidia) not loading properly. It just freezes while booting, and no combination of 'nomodeset', downloading nvidia drivers and swearing while hitting it have gotten it running properly. I started a thread here but I like the idea of having an MBP 4,1 thread as a catch-all so I wanted to post here too.

I'm going to try booting from the 13.04 +mac iso from here so we'll see. I'll post if anything works for me -_-
    Hi v1nsai, did you solved? I've a Macbook Pro 4,1 and I'm banging my head against the wall for installing linux on my Mac. The problem is the f*cking nVidia 8600 GT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast