Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone scam

Beans

Phone scam

I was suffering from a dull Wednesday night until the Windows Technical Team called me from California to tell me that my computer had been infected by malware and they detected unusual traffic. She so thoughtfully called me to fix my computer for me. Goodie, scammers to mess with

I laid on the couch and pretended to follow her directions. She told me to push the windows key and "R". (That would open a run box). Then she wanted me to type "eventvwr" (which would open the event viewer) Apparently I didn't respond fast enough, or she heard me stifling giggles because she hung up on me.

She called from 253-802-0308, which is in Auburn, Washington.

I think we could probably have some fun with that.

Anyway it appears that they didn't even bother to invent a new scam.

http://darranboyd.wordpress.com/2011...-support-scam/

I'm devastated that I didn't get the url, then we really could have had some fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Phone scam

I think it's mean of you to be nasty to a good ol' Windows support staffer when she had gone to the trouble to help your Windows/Linux hybrid malware with her automagical powers. It's not like she gets paid to help strangers use the www (world wide windows). You should install Windows 8 immediately, then send a msg to Ballmer how much happier you are with his product support!
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have to agree with t0p. We here on the Ubuntu Forums, know how busy the Windows Technical team are. All that hard work tracing your computer out of millions on the net that are infected with malware, attracting unusual traffic. Must be very upsetting for them to realise your giggling on the other end of the phone, when they are offering the infamous Windows free service instructions (Bill Gates swears by it)
    Last edited by matt_symes; February 28th, 2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: removed microsoft slang

Beans
    Hidden!

Last time they phoned I told them I use Linux, but I do have a keyboard with Microsoft written on it if that helps and hung up. I've not had a call since.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LOL, probably the phone number is fake and they're calling from outside the USA (using VOIP).

There is another thread on this forum where we discussed what the scammers were doing and how to waste their time (safely), but with the search function currently disabled I can't find it.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

I just enjoy pretending that they just happened to call my desk number at the FCC and inform them of their numerous and severe violations of the tcpa. Judging by the profuse apologies I sometimes recieve I'd wager some of these calls really do originate from within the US.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Last time they called me (sometime last year), I said, "You guys aren't very well organised. I don't know how many times I've said that I use Linux, but you still keep calling."

I haven't heard from them since.

Beans

Oh I saw your thread Paddy. I even posted in it.

And I Googled caller ID spoofing, don't know why that didn't occur to me before. Doesn't look like a complicated process at all.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    LOL, probably the phone number is fake and they're calling from outside the USA (using VOIP).
    That's the ticket

If I remember correctly they call in waves to a specific country at a time, australia > Uk > USA > rest of Europe > repeat
    // Blog

Beans

I hate hackers.

*Oh, and piraters too*
    Last edited by codingman; March 1st, 2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Added pirates
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast