Thread: Search/Analys for files in /, but skip /home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Search/Analys for files in /, but skip /home

Hi I wonder how I can search/ for files in the /-directory, but skip /home? My / is a partition and going to be full (20GB) and what see what's files that filled up the partition. Run 10.04LTS
    Cheers
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit, 13.10 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 12.04LTS?

Beans

Re: Search/Analys for files in /, but skip /home

If /home really is on a separate partition, then iirc the -xdev option should prevent 'find' from descending into it

Code:
    find / -xdev ...
    OTOH if you need to exclude a path on the same partition, you can try prune

Code:
    find / -path '/home' -prune -o ...
    (needs the -o before your remaining tests because the default is to AND them)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Search/Analys for files in /, but skip /home

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    If /home really is on a separate partition, then iirc the -xdev option should prevent 'find' from descending into it

Code:
    find / -xdev ...
    OTOH if you need to exclude a path on the same partition, you can try prune

Code:
    find / -path '/home' -prune -o ...
    (needs the -o before your remaining tests because the default is to AND them)

I have think something more desktop oriented search or space analysing tools (Disk spaca analyzer or nautilus that only search for bigger files.or some other application there file-size or other may... How can I get rid of files, that I don't need any more, including uninstall applications....
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit, 13.10 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 12.04LTS?