Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharing a folder to everyone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sharing a folder to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by kc5hwb View Post
    The force user = nobody worked for writing to the share from another machine. But you are correct, I can't write to it locally.

Changing the ownership to my user account seemed to work too, but when I use my wife's Windows 7 machine, while logged in with her account, it also lets me write to it over the network. So it is working as I want, but I am not sure why it still lets me write from my wife's account after CHOWNing the folder to my account.
    force user

Scary. The only thing that is scarier to me is the chmod 777 !!!!! THAT is crazy. I take it that you've never been hacked? Someone gets with an extremely low permission account ... er ... nobody. Yet they can wipe every file out. Nice.

I've been hacked twice over the years, last time was 2000. I'm paranoid. Paranoid about file permissions, network permissions and internet connections.

Beans

Re: Sharing a folder to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by kc5hwb View Post
    The force user = nobody worked for writing to the share from another machine. But you are correct, I can't write to it locally.

Changing the ownership to my user account seemed to work too, but when I use my wife's Windows 7 machine, while logged in with her account, it also lets me write to it over the network. So it is working as I want, but I am not sure why it still lets me write from my wife's account after CHOWNing the folder to my account.
    All users on your network will be converted to kc5hwb which is now the owner of the directory. Depending on what else you've done as far as smbpasswd and such and depending on what OS the client is using a samba client will come across one of two ways: as nobody ( the original HowTo depended on it ) or as somebody ( that's what broke the original HowTo ). After Samba allows the user access his/her identity is converted to kc5hwb when reading or writing files - for that particular share anyway.
    Last edited by Morbius1; March 1st, 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12