Thread: PowerPC bugs/installation solution

Hybrid View

Beans

PowerPC bugs/installation solution

Lubuntu typically has too many problems that have to be sorted out while installing onto a PowerPC machine such as an iBook, Powerbook, or Powermac.

These haven't been solved. I really like Lubuntu and haven't been able to use Lubuntu effectively on my iBookG4.

Now, I found a distribution called MintPPC 11 which has ALL of the problems solved that were found in Lubuntu PowerPC. I was hoping that the fixes found in MintPPC 11 could be implemented in Lubuntu for PowerPC.

I don't know how to go about contacting the right people to inform them of this? Maybe they already know? I don't have the technical know how to do it myself. If I did I would.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: PowerPC bugs/installation solution

Try the mailing list

lxde-list@lists.sourceforge.net

Beans

Alright the message was posted to the mailing list.

Beans

This is now being handled in the Lubuntu QA list and not the LXDE list.

Can be found at https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/ and https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg01839.html.

Beans

Inwhich what bugs have been solved
    Did this sort out the backlit keyboard and also the ability to install flash ?

Beans

I have the opposite experience. Lubuntu 12.10 was the only distro to leave a bootable machine after install on my 2004 PowerMac 2xG5 2.5GiHz. I tried mint, kubuntu, fedora 17,18,19, and a few others from distrowatch (whose links are mostly moldy for ppc!). Then I upgraded to 13.04 using Kubuntu keeping the former kernel until satisfied. The most recent Kubuntu and Lubuntu 13.10's seem to have eliminated the bug(s) and or features that previously left me without a bootable system. I am running a 3.11.x kernel quite stably with 3.8.x in reserve and am working on getting a realtime kernel built locally. One suggestion is that if you have less than 2gb ram and or a small drive/small swapspace, don't even try and use KDE/Plasma as you won't do very much past the pretty desktop. I rely heavily on ubuntu's powerpc faq and these groups for issue resolving, patience, and persistence. Rumour has it Linus himself codes on a powermac. I don't know if this is true or urban legend, but a hearty thank you goes out to all the kernel and software dev men and women who keep supporting PPC at such a high level! You are appreciated!