Thread: Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10, no shutdown button

Beans

Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10, no shutdown button

I recently logged into my Ubuntu 11.04 and was advised it was no longer supported and i should upgrade to 11.10, which I did through the upgrade manager. After completion, when I booted up, initially I received a screen of vertical lines, after which the login screen appeared and I was able to login. I then went to shutdown, and could not find the shutdown button. Did a search and was advised it should be at the very right on the top bar, however it was not there. Clicked on my user id which was at the right on the top bar and had options to change user along with my login id. Clicking on change user, the following screen then had the shutdown button which I clicked on. Then, after a screen appeared with the same vertical lines, it then just stopped, allowing nothing but shutting down with the power button. I tried it again with the same results, however now after logging in, I opened up Firefox to do additional searches, and then had the browser screen split, with the left on the right side and the right on the left side, and could not find anyway of closing Firefox.

Never had a problem before, but this version is either very buggy or the upgrade did not go well???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Upgrade 11.04 to 11.10, no shutdown button

There may be new video drivers available in additional drivers if you were using them . Proprietary drivers are removed during the upgrade process. 11.10 will reach end of life in April so you may want to consider a clean installation of 12.04(5-year support) rather than upgrade again in April.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors