Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: anti-virus program

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: anti-virus program

My favorite answer to the anti-virus for GNU/Linux question comes from the Unix Koans of Master Foo:

There was a novice who learned much at the Master's feet, but felt something to be missing. After meditating on his doubts for some time, he found the courage to approach Master Foo about his problem.
    "Master Foo," he asked "why do Unix users not employ antivirus programs? And defragmentors? And malware cleaners?"
    Master Foo smiled, and said "When your house is well constructed, there is no need to add pillars to keep the roof in place."
    The novice replied "Would it not be better to use these things anyway, just to be certain?"
    Master Foo reached for a nearby ball of string, and began wrapping it around the novice's feet.
    "What are you doing?" the novice asked in surprise.
    Master Foo replied simply: "Tying your shoes."
    Upon hearing this, the novice was enlightened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    my favorite answer to the anti-virus for gnu/linux question comes from the unix koans of master foo:
    Wonderful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    A computer virus isn't like a biological virus. It is not a physical thing, it is only a computer program created by a human.

Like all computer programs, it must be written for an operating system. Viruses are almost always written for Windows. If Linux can't run Windows programs, then neither will it run Windows viruses.
    OK, I was with you on this part except that you're not including Java & Adobe exploits in there- those are platform agnostic. I'm not with you at all on this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Linux is designed to be secure - it is a lot more difficult to write a Linux virus, and as there are fewer Linux desktop computers it's nearly impossible to actually have a Linux virus spread far.
    Nope. It's not any more difficult. It's just way more profitable to write malware for Windows as they have the largest market share of PCs by far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ah, but what you are forgetting is that most servers (including most of microsofts...is that not irony?) are on linux....which make them a huge target for malware writers...
    While personal use of linux may still be relative small in the overall scheme of things, that is not true on the commercial side...

So, how come we aren't reading about the massive security exploits of linux servers?
    Perhaps because Linux is so much more secure in the way it is designed (as compared to windows)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    It's just way more profitable to write malware for Windows as they have the largest market share of PCs by far.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...s_linux/#myth1

Android vs Iphone also supports this argument, as the iphone for a long time was more popular than android but doesn't have the malware problem android has.

Security through obscurity is no security at all.
    // Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Do you surf the web from a server?

Pretty much +1 to what ikt said.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Do you surf the web from a server?
    /me thinks it happens more than it should

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    /me thinks it happens more than it should
    That's probably right. I've been known to use lynx and curl at times.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've been running on various Linux builds for years and never been encountered any virus like activity that didn't have some other source, usually something I was doing, but that's beside the point. A poster on a different thread on this forum pointed out to me that he or she did not babysit windows users after it was mentioned that in a mixed computer environment which we all realistically are, such programs as clamAV and all it's various components and add ons was really to keep us from passing windows viruses around whether or not they affected our machines. I'd always considered it polite behavior to make sure you weren't sending on something that could cause someone else grief, but the more I think about it, I'm starting to agree with that poster. Perhaps I'm starting to get get tired of having to go out of my way to avoid the microsoft tax.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Grinage View Post
    I'd always considered it polite behavior to make sure you weren't sending on something that could cause someone else grief, but the more I think about it, I'm starting to agree with that poster.
    The problem with antivirus on Linux is multifold:

1. It bogs down my Linux box with worthless bloatware that pointlessly increases complexity and saps performance.
    2. It gores a straw man.
    3. It diverts limited resources and attention from real security threats.
    4. It perpetuates delusions of safety, especially among new users.
    5. It co-opts Linux into acting as enablers for the bad habits and deficiencies of others.
    6. It burdens me with someone else's shortcomings.

Any one of these is reason enough to avoid it. Their cumulative weight is overwhelming.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast