Thread: Gnome-Fallback Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Gnome-Fallback Users

I understand the frustration with gnome3, personallly I don't find it as easy to use as it should be, especially for how long gnome has been around. I tend to alternate between gnome-fallback and unity. While they are completely different DE's both have distinct uses. I like the gnome2 feel of fallback and I like the ease of use of unity.

While reading a negative post on gnome3 on a gnome forum I wondered, if people are so unhappy with gnome3 why not try gnome-fallback? Yes, I know, technically fallback is still gnome3 but it's a completely different feel to "regular" gnome3. Is it because fallback doesn't lookin shiny and new or are there other reasons? Are most users not familiar with fallback or are they newer users to Linux (always a good thing) who were never exposed to gnome2?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gnome-Fallback Users

Gnome2 is dead. Why are you kicking a dead horse? RIP

Beans
    Distro

I agree...gnome2 is beyond dead (I just want to relive my old glory years I guess ).

Personally I like the gnome2 interface much better. Unity has great features....I really like the lenses but there's a lot to be said for the simplicity and ease of use of gnome2. Gnome-fallback is far from perfect but it captures the feel of what gnome2 was. I certainly like it more that gnome3....I just can't get the hang of gnome3.

One thing I will admit is that Unity runs way better on faster hardware. I recently bought a Dell e6430 with 256ssd, 16gig of RAM, and the nvidia chipset and I gotta admit, it runs a million times better than it did on my old 6400. I guess if you throw enough hardware at anything it'll be all you want it to be...hehehe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is there a support question here ?
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

daaang...tough crowd today, hehehe. No support question just wondering others' throughts on gnome-fallback.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since not really a support question, moved to recurring discussions.

I have an old 4:3 monitor (LCD), so using the side is more valuable space than the top and bottom panels.
    And I do not like the lens or is that dash? I want to either use just keyboard or just use mouse but not be forced to go back and forth. I also have trouble knowing what is open or opening another task, it takes me back to my already open one.
    Never could remember the names of things, so I have no idea of what to type into dash, but I know it was in the menu in a certain location or thereabouts. Maybe oldfred is getting old?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Oldfred: Middle-click on the icon in the Launcher (sidebar) to get a new instance. Just like Windows 7.

You can use the Filter Results section of the Applications lens to browse your programs in a certain category.

Hitting the Windows key and typing what you want will show results. Pressing Enter will open the first result.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@3dralbum
    Thanks for the info I will try it next time I boot into either 13.04 or 13.10 as those are both Unity still.
    What is Windows 7? I have never used middle click, but that sounds good.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.