Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Boot problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    14

    Boot problems

    When I select Ubuntu from the GRUB screen I get this error message:

    "Error: Attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

    Press any key to continue..."

    I've been getting this error for a few days and I click any key and it boots normally, but today it just became unresponsive when I pressed any key and doesn't boot into Ubuntu.
    Any way to fix this?

    I'm using ubuntu 12.10 and running it alongside Windows 7 by the way.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Boot problems

    Did you upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 or something? Any idea what caused this? Because it sounds to me like something broke your grub.

    What's the output of this:

    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Beans
    1,909
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Boot problems

    boot from a live cd and follow steps "Method #2 with live cd" (link) untill step #3 (where it says "mount -o rw,remount /")
    at this point run these commands:
    Code:
    wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/files/latest/download
    tar -zxvf download
    ./bootinfoscript
    less RESULTS.txt
    attach here the content of the results file as an attachment please.
    Last edited by fdrake; February 27th, 2013 at 10:34 PM.

    blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    14

    Re: Boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by csad View Post
    Did you upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 or something? Any idea what caused this? Because it sounds to me like something broke your grub.

    What's the output of this:

    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu
    
    Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00088b99
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1            2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2   *      206848   531826687   265809920    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3       531826688   932274175   200223744   83  Linux
    /dev/sda4       932274176   976771071    22248448   82  Linux swap / Solaris

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    14

    Re: Boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by fdrake View Post
    boot from a live cd and follow steps "Method #2 with live cd" (link) untill step #3 (where it says "mount -o rw,remount /")
    at this point run these commands:
    Code:
    wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/files/latest/download
    tar -zxvf download
    ./bootinfoscript
    gedit RESULTS.txt
    attach here the content of the results file as an attachment please.
    There you go!
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Boot problems

    You attached the down load info of the script. You need to run script as shown in links to script and it generates a new file results.txt which you can post in code tags (# in edit panel) or attach.

    You can also run BootInfo report which runs bootscript plus it adds some extra data. It also can reinstall grub or make other repairs.

    Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    14

    Re: Boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by fdrake View Post
    boot from a live cd and follow steps "Method #2 with live cd" (link) untill step #3 (where it says "mount -o rw,remount /")
    at this point run these commands:
    Code:
    wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/files/latest/download
    tar -zxvf download
    ./bootinfoscript
    less RESULTS.txt
    attach here the content of the results file as an attachment please.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You attached the down load info of the script. You need to run script as shown in links to script and it generates a new file results.txt which you can post in code tags (# in edit panel) or attach.

    You can also run BootInfo report which runs bootscript plus it adds some extra data. It also can reinstall grub or make other repairs.

    Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix
    Okay so I got this from boot repair:

    Please write on a paper the following URL:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5576240/

    In case you still experience boot problem, indicate this URL to:
    boot.repair@gmail.com or to your favorite support forum.

    No change has been performed on your computer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Boot problems

    Did you install the 32bit version?

    Does it boot or is error while running?

    You have a large / (root) partition and we have seen where that causes grub boot issues. It seems to get lost when files are too far apart or too far from beginning of drive. Most reinstall with smaller / partition and separate /home or data partition(s) or create a small /boot near the beginning of the drive.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    14

    Re: Boot problems

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Did you install the 32bit version?

    Does it boot or is error while running?

    You have a large / (root) partition and we have seen where that causes grub boot issues. It seems to get lost when files are too far apart or too far from beginning of drive. Most reinstall with smaller / partition and separate /home or data partition(s) or create a small /boot near the beginning of the drive.
    Yeah, I installed the 32 bit version.
    And it doesn't boot. Just when I select the Ubunut option that error springs up and then my computer becomes unresponsive.

    So I should probably re-install ubuntu on a smaller partition? I kind of need the memory though because I keep a lot of my photography, music and other files on my hard drive.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Boot problems

    I normally suggest 10 to 25GB for / (root) and then have separate /home or data partition(s). You can from gparted try shrinking your current / partition to see if that helps. About 50% that I suggest that to find it works. Or you may have to have a separate small /boot near the beginning of the drive.

    If shrinking works, you can use gparted from liveCD and create a new partition for /home.
    To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving

    or you can just create a partition for data and mount that into /home.

    Splitting home directory discussion and details:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1811198
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901437
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=%2Fdata
    Link is on move home but see post by bodhi.zazen on data partition #6
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=325048

    With dual booting with Windows you should really have a shared NTFS data partition so you do not write into the Windows system partition. Use shared data NTFS for any data you may want in both systems and set Windows as read only from Ubuntu.

    Shared /data (NTFS)-see post #3 oldfred
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1772620
    Mount, hide & link windows partition
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1397508
    Mount NTFS partition:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1927504
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •