Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04, 12.10 x64 Server install problems - swap or RAID-related?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 12.04, 12.10 x64 Server install problems - swap or RAID-related?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmefun View Post
    Hi CharlesA - I wish I did! This is for a fresh install (I know... old machine, new OS!). Thanks! Jeff
    Interesting. Do you know if the same thing occurs if you try to install Ubuntu Desktop? It should use the same packages (including the kernel).

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    On HW RAID... I use both hw and md... depending what is there. That Adaptec card is usually auto-detected with no problem.
    I have been sticking to a (cheap) HW raid card in my server. The installer doesn't detect it - I need to install to a separate drive and compile the kernel modules for it, but that works fine for me because I don't have my OS on the RAID array.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The reason I mentioned 10.04LTS is that Adaptec's own utilities for the Adaptec 5405 go up thru 11.04:
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support...raid/sas-5405/

And the then this one through 10.04LTS:
    http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/DebianPackages

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!

MAFo - thanks for the many tips - and no worries at all about the missed info - we've all been there!!

So, I went the installer/partition setup/go back/enter shell/busybox/alt-right arrow to tty4 route and I know see this:

Code:
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): mount: mounting /dev/sda3 on /tmp/tmp.fzYwhq fialed: Device or resource busy
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): umount: can't forcibly umount /tmp/tmp.fzYwhq: Invalid argument
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): NTFS signature is missing
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): Failed to mount '/dev/mapper/host-root'
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): : Invalid argument
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): The device '/dev/mapper/host-root' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole idsk instead of a
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): mount: mounting /dev/mapper/hosmtiles-root on /tmp/tmp.hpFtAD failed: Invalid argument
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): NTFS signature is missing
    [t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): Failed to mount 'dev/sda3'
    I have absolutely no idea why the NTFS stuff is showing up. I've completely rebuilt the RAID and have not even mentioned Microsoft in the same room as this machine...

I'd have scrolled further up, but none of the normal scrolling methods seem to be working for me (shift-page up, ctrl-page up, etc.).

DarkoD - I went with the RAID card b/c it came with the machine. I bought the server used and it was there, so I figured, hey, why not? What could go wrong?

Charles - Off to try the 10.04 option and the desktop, too...

Thanks again to everyone for all the help,
    Jeff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmefun View Post
    Charles - Off to try the 10.04 option and the desktop, too...
    Try the server edition first. I forgot 10.04 had a -server and -generic kernel that 12.04 merged back together.

That output sure is odd, but maybe 10.04 will play nice with everything.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

Ugh.... 10.04 install was hanging on setting up the ext4 LVM.

I'm going to thoroughly retest the drives and possibly return this machine. Either way, I'm out of commission for many hours on this project.

In the mean time, thanks again to everyone. I'll return later to report back in...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12