Thread: DHCP ports closed

Beans

DHCP ports closed

I didn't know I was blocking ports 67-68 out with ufw. These are the ports for dhcp but I had no connection problems with internet. If I open them up, what will this do? I don't need new ip addresses from my router so should I just leave them blocked?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: DHCP ports closed

Does this help?

DHCP uses the same two ports assigned by IANA for BOOTP: destination UDP port 67 for sending data to the server, and UDP port 68 for data to the client. DHCP communications are connectionless in nature. [via wikipedia]

Try blocking only 67 in and out, and see what happens. Try it again with 68. Which one works?

Beans

Re: DHCP ports closed

Quote Originally Posted by joeashcraft View Post
    Does this help?

DHCP uses the same two ports assigned by IANA for BOOTP: destination UDP port 67 for sending data to the server, and UDP port 68 for data to the client. DHCP communications are connectionless in nature. [via wikipedia]

Try blocking only 67 in and out, and see what happens. Try it again with 68. Which one works?
    What am I looking for as a result of blocking one port or another? I already have full internet access and connecting to new wifi routers and receiving an ip address is no problem.

If I'm interpreting DHCP's use correctly, 'server' in its case would be my (or a) router, since it's what assigns the IP to the specific computer.

Is that correct?