Thread: Gazelle Professional Screen Resolution

Beans

Gazelle Professional Screen Resolution

I currently have panp8 and I have been unable to use the HDMI port to get full resolution 2560x1440 on my external monitor (I can get up to 1920x1200). I read somewhere that Intel HD 3000 doesn't support 2560x1440 resolution in general.

Does the Gazelle Professional support 2560x1440 resolution through the HDMI port?

Answer: YES, both Panp7 and Panp8 support the resolution. On Panp7 I had to use xrandr and create a new mode with refresh rate of 40
    Code:
    cvt 2560 1440 40
    See the tutorial below for all of the commands that would be needed.

Thanks to isantop for the help. every time I talk to him I discover a new power hidden in my laptop.
    Last edited by 3Miro; March 2nd, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gazelle Professional Screen Resolution

What monitor are you using? Your PanP8 should be capable of outputing at 2650x1600 over HDMI.

EDIT: Also check that the cable you're using supports HDMI v1.4, as earlier 1.3 cables will only support lower resolutions.
    Last edited by isantop; February 27th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

This is the monitor that I am using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236294

When using the laptop with HDMI on monitors with 1920x1200 or lower, everything is detected via the Display setting (using 12.04 LTS).

When I use HDMI with the 2560x1440, the highest resolution is detected as 1600xSomething.

The same monitor works fine with my desktop using DVI, Display Port, or DVI to HDMI adapter (i.e. the DVI, DP and HDMI ports on the monitor work fine).

I searched for a solution, but all that I found were forum people with similar issues and others claiming Intel HD doesn't support 2560x1440 at all.

Do I need to edit Xorg manually? Is there another setting tool that I am not using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    This is the monitor that I am using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236294

When using the laptop with HDMI on monitors with 1920x1200 or lower, everything is detected via the Display setting (using 12.04 LTS).

When I use HDMI with the 2560x1440, the highest resolution is detected as 1600xSomething.

The same monitor works fine with my desktop using DVI, Display Port, or DVI to HDMI adapter (i.e. the DVI, DP and HDMI ports on the monitor work fine).

I searched for a solution, but all that I found were forum people with similar issues and others claiming Intel HD doesn't support 2560x1440 at all.

Do I need to edit Xorg manually? Is there another setting tool that I am not using?
    The HD 3000 on your Pangolin definitely does support it though (At least, it supports 2650x1600. It may not support x1440 for some weird reason).

Do you have the display mirrored at all? Are there any other monitors plugged into the system apart from the built-in?
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I have only the in-build monitor and the external monitor.

I plug the monitor in the HDMI port using the cable that comes with the monitor (the laptop has nothing else plugged other than the power cord). The display settings show that there is an external monitor, but allow only resolution up to 1600xSomething. I switch to the external monitor and disable the in-build one. The picture is horrible and the highest possible resolution is till listed as 1600xSomething.

Monitors with 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 resolution work just fine.

2560x1440 is 16:9 aspect, 2560x1600 is 16:10. The in-build monitor is 16:9 (1366x738).

Would you know what is the correct syntax of the Xorg file to force the monitor to 2560x1440 manually. Maybe this is just a Gnome bug for not reading the correct info from the monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu no longer uses an xorg.conf file for graphics configuration, so I'd advise against that approach. This article would be a much better idea: http://myit-solutions.blogspot.com/2...m-display.html
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

xrandr is also good. I didn't think to try it before. I am out of town now, but I will try it out and probably let you know on Saturday.

Beans

I did try the tutorial, it is a good tutorial.

I was able to use xrandr to create a 1920x1080 mode and I was able to switch to that mode. The laptop and monitor are now happy with that resolution. Here is something interesting that I found on Intel's web-site, apparently there is a known bug in the monitor/laptop communications.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030193.htm

However, I was unable to use 2560x1440 mode. I did add the mode just like the 1080 resolution, however, when I switch to that mode, the monitor goes blank and says that there is no HDMI signal. After 30 seconds the Laptop reverts back to the old resolution.

I tried to lower the refresh rate from 60 to 30. At 2560x1440_30, the external monitor doesn't lose signal, however, the image keeps moving along the screen at refresh rate of about 2 frames per second. It is difficult to describe what happened, it looks a lot like a heavily lagging game, but it is not lag in the ordinary sense since I was able to also use the inbuild laptop monitor.

Tried this couple of times with no luck. I made sure to try everything with power plugged and without laptop monitor (i.e. enable only the external monitor).

Any ideas?

Beans

Solved it, I had to lower the refresh rate to 40. See the first post.